To try and prevent the FCC from crafting tough Title-II based net neutrality rules, loyal ISP politicians in Congress have promised a slew of bills aimed at eroding FCC authority ahead of the FCC's February 26 vote on new rules. One of the first out of the gate is courtesy of Rep. Bob Latta, who has re-introduced a bill
that would specifically block the FCC from reclassifying ISPs under Title II.
Latta, a top telecom campaign cash recipient
, attempted to push through the same legislation earlier this year. To hear Latta tell it, he's saving the Internet by preventing consumer protections that would keep incumbent ISPs from using a lack of competition to engage in predatory and discriminatory behavior:
“The FCC’s plans to reclassify broadband under Title II are misguided,” said Latta in announcing the bill's reintroduction. “Imposing monopoly-era telephone rules on a 21st Century industry that has thrived under the current light-touch regulatory framework will undoubtedly impede the economic growth and innovation that have resulted in the broadband marketplace absent government interference."
The largely GOP-driven push to pass laws that hinder the FCC's authority ahead of a neutrality vote is a particularly-steep uphill climb, since the President will likely veto any such measure. Several of the biggest ISPs are also pushing politicians to support something they're calling "Title X
" net neutrality rules whose sole function appear to be to pre-empt tougher, more meaningful rules.
Over the last thirty years or so AT&T has made it very clear that it absolutely loathes government regulation -- unless that regulation is written by them to protect their duopoly power. Case in point is the city of Chanute, Kansas, which is trying to offer its residents 1 Gbps connections for $40 per month, after years of getting tired of the local AT&T and CableOne duopoly. story continues..
Users in our Charter forums
recently noted that Charter appears to have modified their terms of service to indicate they're moving away from hard, enforced usage caps and back to what's known as "soft" -- or less frequently enforced -- usage caps. In January of 2009 we were the first to report
that Charter had started implementing soft caps -- a 100 GB cap on their basic tier, a 250 GB cap on their then Plus and Max tiers, and a 500 GB per month cap on their ultra tiers.
As we noted last week
, AT&T's reaction to the President's clear support of Title II was to bluff and claim they were freezing all fiber investment to "up to" 100 cities. However if you've been around here for a while you know that AT&T's plans to deploy fiber to 100 cities was already smoke and mirrors to begin with
, and the company has actually been repeatedly slashing their fixed-line investment projections (they had just cut CAPEX by $3 billion just three days before the President's announcement).
In response to the President's announcement this week that he unequivocally supports Title II reclassification to protect net neutrality
, AT&T has unveiled a rather amusing political ploy. AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson this morning proclaimed that the company is halting investment in next-generation fiber networks until the government wimps out and backs off tougher rules to protect consumers.
AT&T is warning some customers in Vermont that an AT&T employee improperly accessed the personal information of a limited but unspecified number of AT&T customers. "We recently determined that one of our employees violated our strict privacy and security guidelines by accessing your account without authorization in August 2014, and while doing so, would have been able to view and may have obtained your account information including your social security number and driver’s license number," AT&T says in the letter
(pdf) posted to the Vermont Attorney General's website (via Threat Post
). AT&T's promising one year of free credit monitoring to impacted customers.
AT&T is running a new promotion that doubles the data allotments for Mobile Share Value Plan customers -- but only if you buy buckets of data 15 GB in size or larger. According to the AT&T announcement
, the promotion runs from yesterday, September 28, to October 31. While a limited time promotion, users who sign up for the double data allotment promo will be able to keep that usage plan for the life of the plan. "With these new double data plans, and smartphones for $0 down with AT&T Next, there’s never been a more affordable time to be with AT&T," insists the company -- even though the lion's share of users concerned about cost will be on plans significantly smaller than 15 GB per month.
ISPs have already been whining quite a bit
about the fact that the FCC wants to raise the current minimum definition of broadband from 4 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up -- to something ranging from 10 to 25 Mbps. Now AT&T and Verizon are whining about the possibility that the FCC would like to make sure bandwidth caps are considered when defining the quality of a broadband connection.
Representatives of state and local governments in Hartford, New Haven and Stamford have joined forces
to try and bring faster broadband networks to Connecticut. The collective group has issued an RFQ to promote the deployment of gigabit broadband networks and services in "targeted commercial corridors" and locations "with demonstrated demand." They've also put the call out to any additional under-served communities, who can add an addendum to the RFQ to get involved.
DSLExtreme has launched a new, faster broadband option that appears to piggyback on AT&T's U-Verse platform. According to the company announcement
, DSLExtreme's new "TrueStream" is now available in 21 states across the country, offering speeds up to 75 Mbps.
The New York Post
claims that AT&T has struck a deal with the Department of Justice that would allow AT&T's $48.5 billion plan
to acquire DirecTV to move forward. The report fails to specify what precise conditions the DOJ will place on the deal, though it does suggest that regulators are leaning toward approval with DOJ approval coming as soon as October.
AT&T has been very interested in overseas expansion, investigating possible acquisitions of Vodafone (at least the wireless assets), European carrier EE, as well as part of Spain's Telefonica SA. Unfortunately for AT&T, it's believed that their coziness with the NSA ruffled political feathers during election season
, forcing AT&T to step back earlier this year and wait. With those worries settled down, rumors have again emerged of an AT&T Vodafone bid
, though the report notes AT&T's ambitions could be challenged by a counter offer from China Mobile.
Confirming rumors from earlier this month
, AT&T has confirmed the company is getting very close to launching their version of higher-audio-quality voice over LTE service (VoLTE). According to an AT&T announcement
, AT&T's belated VoLTE implementation will launch on May 23 "in select areas" in Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and Wisconsin, and "will continue to expand on a market-by-market basis." Handset support at launch is also expected to be very limited, with VoLTE only supported on the Galaxy S4 Mini at launch, "with more devices to come." AT&T had originally stated they'd hoped to launch VoLTE before the end of 2013, though like Verizon faced delays due to interoperability issues.
AT&T recently threatened to take their ball and go home
(read: not participate in the upcoming 600 MHz spectrum auction) if the government imposed rules trying to ensure that smaller competitors weren't blocked by larger carriers when it comes to grabbing valuable spectrum. After meeting with FCC officials AT&T appears to have changed their tune
, now insisting that "our desire to participate in this auction and our hope for a successful auction is unchanged."
What happened? The FCC released a few more details on the spectrum auction process, making it clear that initially, nobody will be blocked from bidding on spectrum:
When the auction reaches a “trigger” point that the Commission will set in advance of the auction – largely based on meeting a price threshold – wireless providers with a dominant low-band position in a license area will be constrained from bidding on a few “reserved” spectrum blocks.
We've discussed at length how AT&T's "IP transition" is being framed as some sort of evolutionary transition toward a "glorious all-IP future," but is really largely about AT&T gutting regulations in order to hang up on POTS and DSL users they simply don't want to upgrade
. After Verizon used Sandy as an excuse to refuse to upgrade their own unwanted POTS and DSL customers, the FCC stepped in to mandate two small IP transition trials
to help analyze what kind of problems we can expect as users are cut off from the PSTN and pushed on to wireless.
Back in June of 2010
, you might recall that a security hole in AT&T's website allowed two individuals to gain access to the e-mail addresses of 114,000 owners of 3G Apple iPads, including "dozens of CEOs, military officials, and top politicians." A group calling itself Goatse Security at the time claimed responsibility for the "hack," which in addition to e-mail addresses resulted the group obtaining user ICC-IDs -- used to identify their specific iPad on the AT&T network.
One of those two individuals responsible for obtaining the data was Andrew Auernheimer (aka "Weev") an Internet-famous troll who was recently convicted of accessing a computer without authorization and identity fraud, and sentenced to serve 41 months in prison.
As we've frequently discussed, AT&T and Verizon are in the process of going state by state gutting consumer protections on DSL and landlines in preparation of hanging up on users they don't want to upgrade. This has been pitched by the carriers as part of the "IP transition
" and states are often told by killing consumer protections they'll see better and greater networks than ever
AT&T today announced that their first "IP transition" trials as the company eyes shutting down its copper networks will occur in West Delray Beach, Florida (Kings Point) and Carbon Hill, Alabama. According to an AT&T announcement
, these locations will be the sites of multi-year trials with FCC oversight aimed at studying the impact of migrating away from copper networks and the PSTN.
It looks like that new round of AT&T U-Verse rate hikes
won't come without some
small benefits. User Darknessfall
directs our attention to the fact that AT&T appears to have boosted upstream speeds ever so slightly on several of the company's U-Verse broadband tiers. AT&T's Max Turbo U-verse tier (24 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up) now offers 5 Mbps upstream. The company's Max Plus (18 Mbps down, 1.5 Mbps up) now offers 2 Mbps upstream. According to this ongoing discussion thread in our forums
, it's unclear if any of the company's faster tiers will also be seeing upstream boosts (I've dropped a line to check).
·more stories, story search, most popular ..
Recent news contributors