EarthLink page on DSLReports

Review by XBL2009 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "1536 downstream 384 upstream"
Bad "tech support is bad.....no need for winpoet with the arescom 800 modem but they instruct people to use it."
Overall "good connection for $49.95"

I ordered Earthlink DSL on March 27 was given a line activation date of April 5th which got bumped to April 10th. Was told my modem kit shipped on April 11th (actually they send a notice to a third party company which then final sent it on April 16th and it showed up on April 18th.) So the only real problem I had is the modem kit taken longer then it needed.

BTW: The filters really work and are required, I had another arescom 800 hooked up on the 12th but the speed was 898K at the time because I didn't have any filters. I finally bought one at CompUSA and my speed went to 1536K. I have one filter which filters 6 phones.

Update: 9 months and everything is still running great, once in a while there is a network problem and things crawl but most of the time it's greasy fast and reliable.

Phone support still sucks and hold times can be up to an hour or more. If I need tech support or an answer I call at 2 am but you still have to wait 45 minutes. Some techs know there stuff others don't have a clue.

Update: March 9, 2002.....still running fast and reliable. I did have one or two glitches but they were resolved fast.

Update: November 9, 2002.....getting close to two years with Earthlink via Covad and service has been good. I've had only two short outages otherwise it's completely reliable which is great cause I hate outages. There phone support is bad but I haven't needed to call them so it doesn't matter.

Update: June 2003..... Well I no longer have Earthlink DSL, I have moved on.

member for 13.6 years, 3781 visits, last login: 124 days ago