DSL EXTREME page on DSLReports

Review by MattG1 See Profile

• Location: Murrieta,Riverside,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "DSL service was reliable for me, no outages."
Bad "Very poor customer service."
Overall "Look elsewhere."

I had dslextreme.com in the same apartment complex between 2005 and 2012, but due to circumstances I had to move into a place which already had a good Internet connection and so was forced to cancel.

This is where very poor customer service comes in, I called and let them know that the original modem broke down two years ago and I replaced it myself out of my own funds, so do not have the modem from 2005 anymore, let alone in useable condition.

After speaking with a supervisor who then passed me over to a manager I get this e-mail:

Good day!

Thank you for contacting DSL Extreme.

This is a courtesy email to inform you that we have received your message. We do apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced and we do understand your situation. As I reviewed your account thoroughly, I can see on our system that we sent you a modem way back in 2005 and when you sign up with DSLExtreme you agreed to mail back the modem if in case you terminate the service. On our terms and conditions under section 8 "ubscriber must return to DSLExtreme the complete modem kit in a useable condition at Subscriber's expense within thirty (30) days of termination of the Service by Subscriber or DSLExtreme. Subscriber must pay ninety-nine dollars and ninety cents ($99.90) plus applicable taxes to purchase any modem Subscriber does not return to DSLExtreme in working condition within such thirty (30) day period." We do sorry to inform you, but unfortunately we can not do anything about the charged on your account for the unreturned modem.

For further questions, please don't hesitate to email us back or contact our Billing Department at this number (800) 774-3379 or you can also try our Live Chat.

We value your business.

Thank you and have a great day!

Best regards,
*name deleted*

DSLExtreme Billing Department"

The penalty is outrageous, if it was no more than $30 I could understand, but $99.90 is robbery for an old device no matter what shape or form it maybe in. It is sad that despite liking dslextreme for so long they treat what were loyal customers so poorly in the end.

Comments:

redhawk

@verizon.net

Escalate

Try escalating the issue. If it wasn't something that was your fault I don't think you should be charged for it.

On a side note, I didn't know DSL was still available in Murrieta, I know pretty much all of Temecula is wired for FiOS and DSL isn't available unless you're in Wine Country.