DSL EXTREME page on DSLReports

Review by vstrugatsky See Profile

• Location: Sebastopol,Sonoma,CA
Good "Can't think of anything"
Bad "Connection never worked, poor customer support, charged early termination fees"
Overall "Can't recommend"

I had a horrible experience with DSL Extreme.
I owned a 2WIRE modem that DSLE listed as compatible with their service.
Spent about month and a half talking with mostly incompetent technical support trying to get the service to work. No luck.

Found information on DSL Reports that the particular model I have, 2WIRE 2701-HGV, is cripple-ware and is not compatible with DSL Extreme.

Asked DSL Extreme for their own modem. The only option they have is a device without wireless access. With that device, I got service, but it would disconnect every few minutes.

At this point, I had enough, returned the modem and called to cancel the service.

Was told that I had to write them to cancel. I wrote the cancellation email and received the confirmation ticket.

But the service was not cancelled and I could not switch the provider. When I called back, they claimed that the cancellation ticket number I have in the email from them belongs to another customer. Unimaginable mess, their internal systems simply don't work.

They asked me to submit cancellation on their web page. That seemed to work, but they informed me that they are charging me the early termination fee of $170.70. For the service that never worked! Besides, they've charged me for three months of service that I never had. When I protested, they informed me that if I don't pay, my account would go to collections.

In short, pure nightmare.

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Your Problem?

It sounds like you caused the problem you are blaming them for. You could have picked up the correct modem on ebay or even at Goodwill for a few bucks.

Rockafella21

join:2010-04-08
New Castle, PA

Re: Your Problem?

Steve how did he cause his own problem when he said even with the supplied modem from DSLX he would experience disconnects? I don't understand why people start bashing people for giving their honest review. When they clearly haven't even read the whole review themselves.

Blogger

@mpionbroadband.com
said by ArizonaSteve:

When you read the review you must have missed where up front the reviewer states: "I owned a 2WIRE modem that DSLE listed as compatible with their service."

dslx_nick
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

DSL Extreme

I am sorry you had this difficulty. Unfortunately, the 2Wire 2701-HGV is a VDSL modem which does not support the correct settings you need for our ADSL connection. To use our connection, you must use an ADSL modem which supports RFC1483 / Bridge Mode and DMT (g.DMT), VP must be set to 0, and VC must be set to 35. The standard 2Wire 2701 model ADSL modem does meet these requirements and thus does work with our service, but the 2701-HGV is a VDSL modem which does not.

You mentioned that with the modem we sent you, you were able to connect, but were disconnecting every few minutes? If you'd care to try again, we can certainly troubleshoot that issue and find out why your connection was being intermittent and fix it.

silentlooker
join:2009-11-01

Thanks for honest review

Thank you for taking time to do honest review of this ISP.

dslx_nick
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

DSL Extreme

I'm sorry you ran into this difficulty. The standard 2Wire 2701 ADSL modem is compatible with our service and is listed on our website accordingly. AT&T's U-Verse service comes with a firmware-locked 2701-HGV VDSL modem, which is not compatible and not listed on our website.

The ticket number you provided belongs to a ticket opened for another customer on December 15th, which was before you started service with us in the first place. While it's theoretically possible the system ran into a technical error and gave you a wrong ticket number, I checked that ticket anyways and didn't see any cancellation email from you. If you'd like me to investigate further on this, please send me an IM.

You were indeed connecting with the modem we provided, as you yourself stated: "With that device, I got service, but it would disconnect every few minutes." I certainly don't consider that ideal, of course, but it does prove that we did connect your service in good faith. Unfortunately, you did not give us a chance to troubleshoot why your connection was being intermittent. If you should decide to give us another chance in the future, we will be happy to investigate this point further and fix whatever was causing the intermittency on your connection.