CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by calathea See Profile

• Location: Scio,Linn,OR
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Easy setup, fast speed and we are way out in the country"
Bad "could be less expensive"
Overall "Thrilled with it"

28 December 2013

Got this: TP-LINK TD-W8980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router, 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5Ghz 300Mbps, 2 USB Ports for File Sharing, IPv6 Compatible

Alex from Centurylink chat provided the configuration information we needed beforehand. However the modem setup wizard knew everything except the username and password.

The modem/router is working great so far and the wireless is fine. This replaced a Westell A90-750014-07 with a LinkSys router behind it to provide better wireless.

Loving the new faster speed and CenturyLink support did just fine.

******************

2 December 2013

We have 2 land lines and internet from Centurylink; when adding the second land line we were promised that we would have the fastest possible internet speed when it became available. At that time (June 2012) the max was 1.5 MB per second. The other day I looked online and we were still at 1.5, so I called and they bumped it up to 6. Much faster. Now speed testing at over 5 and you can really tell the difference. I am delighted with this result.

Also they sent a new modem --on the call I asked 'what kind?' and the tech said 'don't know, whatever is in the warehouse.' It turned out to be a Zyxel PK5001Z and the reviews on that are terrible. I am still using the old Westell modem but wondered if anyone on here has a recommendation of the best DSL modem that CenturyLink supports? I work from home and rely on my connection, so quality is the first concern.
**************

16 May 2013

Still plugging along, there have been a couple outages in the last year or so. The first one was easy, I called the number and a recording said "there is an outage." The second one, just last week, I must have been the first to call in because the rep kept having me fiddle with the modem settings until they finally decided to call an outage. However the rep was in the US, definitely a plus.

Other than that the connection has been adequate for me to work from home, although not real great for streaming video and such. They keep promising faster speeds. I'm just glad to have the connection out here.

****************************
13 December 2010

I spoke too soon apparently; we are just back up from mostly the whole weekend of what I think was the Lebanon server being down. However, support were courteous and honest about the difficulties -- hope we are back up for good now.
**********************************************
10 December 2010

Since June there have been 2 outages, the most recent one was today. I was surfing and suddenly lost the connection. After waiting a couple hours and cycling power, I called CenturyLink, heard an announcement that there had been a maintenance and people needed to cycle power, waited only a short time, and got a courteous tech who walked me through some arcane reconfiguring of the connection on the westell page.

Now we are back up and running and overall still pretty happy with CenturyLink. It's not as fast as the cable connection we had in town, but we are just grateful to have good DSL, as far out in the country as we are.

One other thing -- I am always ecstatic when a provider right up front lets me know there has been a maintenance or a change, rather than denying it and blaming it on their users. Way to go CenturyLink, they handled this one perfectlyl
**********************************************

15 June 2010
Recently moved here from our place in town. The CenturyLink DSL is working great for us. I was blaming the constant service interruptions at our previous house on my PC or my firewall software, but it works fine out here so turns out it was Comcast. It happened when we reduced our service down a tier. Or, we got some new neighbors, could be somebody was sucking up all the bandwidth. With the DSL you get a dedicated chunk of bandwidth which is great.
********************

Way out here the country in Linn County Oregon, cable is not an option. But we are in line of sight of a cell tower so we could have gotten a 3G/4G connection. Although the portability would have been nice, we didn't like the idea of the download/upload caps so we decided to try the CenturyLink fiber connection. We are right on the edge of their coverage area. We got the phone and internet package for about $100 per month.

The modem is a Westell and we are using a Netgear wireless router. Hooked up the modem and plugged the laptop in -- ZoneAlarm found the network and asked if it was OK. That all worked perfectly, so I hooked up the router. Same thing -- gave ZoneAlarm the approval and everything worked fine. Tested the wireless and that worked too.

I have never had such an easy setup experience before. Always I seem to struggle and work and end up hating my provider until enough time passes that I get over it. But we are delighted with CenturyLink so far. They are in the position of having happy customers and all they have to do to keep it that is not blow it!

member for 12.7 years, 1913 visits, last login: 61 days ago

Comments:

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

Me too.

I've been a customer for a number of years because cable sucks. CL is very much like the old nursery rhyme. When it is good it is very, very good, but when it is bad it is horrid.

CL is a telephone company that does have oversight from your state public utility bureau/commission. The Internet does not have to work, but the phone does. The best of both worlds in my house is a whole house filter vs the splitter in each phone jack.

I use Mac. I had a lot of trouble with routers and CL in my house until I switched to a ASUS pc/Mac PnP router. It has been a long process to sort it out; I'm good to go.

CL doesn't have many outages where I live. What I learned about outages is it can be caused by squirrels, heavy snow, heavy rain, ice, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, E-storms, too hot, too cold, and contractors who dig before they think. It's an expensive lesson. Anytime a telephone company experiences a system- wide outage it can take several days to locate and fix - especially when it is in a county of a 1000 square miles and not many people.

In time you will learn its quirks. It is not a bad company, but like others, it is only loved when it works as advertised. Where I live cable is a much bigger problem which is why I have Dish TV and CL.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside