CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by Crusty See Profile

• Location: Sanger,Denton,TX
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Decent package speeds, decent cost. Customer service through these forums is outstanding."
Bad "Connection issues, speed issues, customer service through phone is horrid."
Overall "If I had another option, I'd jump ship."

·Embarq Now Centu..
Update 11-7-13

Issues have gotten progressively worse at peak time hours. Gaming latency will hover around 200-300 and can't stream a single HD movie from Netflix or HD clip from YouTube.

Update 5-10-13

Issues haven't been resolved and is slowly getting worse.

Update 1-15-13

I'm seeing the exact same issues that I describe below prior to leaving them. Slowness during peak times, very high latency and pretty much crippled if I want to do anything online.

Reliability rating is kicked back down.

Update - 11-14-12

After leaving CTL for a WISP and then coming back after I was promised multiple times that the issues were put to bed, I went back to CTL. Pure broadband only. 10Mb package.

I've been back on it since Julyish of this year. Other than a couple hiccups with slowness, it's been pretty rock solid like it used to be prior to CTL.

So, I'm changing my review (Connection reliability only) just a smidge.

Update 2-14-12

Still having same issues described below. Each and every week night 5pm+, my speeds come to a crawl and just about anytime on weekends they crawl as well.

Multiple phone calls to cust serv and numerous exchanged emails.

During daytime since I've started seeing these issues, my speeds are great if not FANTASTIC.

Updated all rankings to reflect on going issues.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
I currently pay for the 10Mb package and have had since the first day it's been available in my area. (approx march/april of 09).

I live in the Sanger, TX area.

modem is the 660R

Prior to upgrading to the 10Mb package, I rarely had to call into support for help. Since upgrading i've had numerous speed issues and siginificant amount of downtime. I've got every issue documented since upgrading and they go back to april of 09. Most of the issues have been horrid speeds (worse than dial up numerous times....no joke) but also have had issues of net being completely down.

Customer service through the 800 line is horrible and most folks run you through the script even after you've done it 7 times with everyone else. Gets extremely frustrating when you already know where the problem lies.

good experiences with centurylink/embarq?? working with the fine techs that monitor these forums. I've gotten much better customer support and response with the folks who monitor these forums compared to the 800 line. Prices are just about right.

Overall?? Unfortunately my side of the street can only get dsl while my neighbors have cable to choose from as well. I've been with this service for years ever since it was sprint/earthlink, then embarq and now centurylink and because of the amount of issues i've had since upgrading to the 10Mb and the frustrations of dealing with 800 line, I'd jump ship in a hearbeat if i had any other suitable option.

Comments:

calirefugee

@embarqhsd.net

service bad here too

the tech support is good on the phone but the techs around here don't know what they are doing
i have to fight to get good service ,if i had another option out here in kempner i would go for it in an instant when i signed up it was for ten megs then they said 8 now they put me at 6mb and they wouldnt discount my bill for all the trouble we have had we need high speed for my work and my roommates play station 3 i wish sudden link worked out here

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

Your biggest problem is uplink

If you have the 10Mbps ADSL package the uplink is between .256 and .768. After school, 8-10pm. and on weekends, the internet is slow. You've have 800000000 people other people on line doing the same thing you are, and a lot faster.

It is rural America. Plus the farther you are from the main office, the slower the speed. It is how this stuff works. Be patient. It will get better in time.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside
Crusty

join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX
·Embarq Now Centu..

Re: Your biggest problem is uplink

said by linicx:

Appreciate the reply but I am hardly rural america. I live in a "small" town just 8 minutes north of a very large metropolitan area right off a interstate highway. Fiber runs all over the city for CTL and Suddenlink. But the issues over the years have always been the same. Always on CTL side and either 1) over sellign the product or 2) equipment failure or 3) both 1 and 2.

I'm less than .5 mile from the CO and my lines train really good...12Mbps or better.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

Re: Your biggest problem is uplink

You can be 8mi from Chicago and be considered rural because your town doesn't have the ________, or some other lame excuse. These companies are stuck in proprietary areas with copper lines they do not want to maintain, but have no choice. I live six blocks from the plant that has fiber, and I have a strong signal. I have the same problems you do with oversold lines and old equipment. I won't see FTTH any faster than I will see 12 Mbps. That would require an overhaul of old hardware and software to the plant and to customers.

I am 10 miles from the nearest town that AT&T serves. My cost for their U-Verse 6/1 and DSL phone is double what CL charges for 10/1 with the same phone.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside