CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by ButtonBoy See Profile

• Location: Kingston,Kitsap,WA
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "They are in my town"
Bad "The only game in town"
Overall "Named for the age of the equipment, still they are now slower than AT&T's cell network"

Bottom line:

$20 per month for fixed IP is waaay overpriced, but other than that, the price is reasonable. Service has been somewhat reliable although connection performance is slow at best and tech support has always been script-reading drones.

OK, so I have been a customer of CenturyTel for 25+ years, and was one of the first in Kingston to get broadband back in 1997. (not sure about the exact date)

Stayed with the basic rate (not knowing any better) until July 2010, when I upgraded to the 10M service. Immediately tested out at 6.4M- I was OK with that, but really did hope for the advertised 10M. They talked me into renting their newest spiffy Westell modem, which I immediately installed. Seemed to work OK, and everyone in the family enjoyed the faster speed. Youtube was great, Netflix streaming was finally possible, high res photo sharing became a reality. My own web site was still a bit slow, as I only got 700K upload, which seems VERY slow to me, given the advertised DL bandwidth. Obviously Asymetric...

The first week of 2011 the kids (far more tech-savvy then most) started complaining to me about how slow their wireless connection had become. I had them reset the WAP, and they said it got better. Well, I was out of town on business, and could do little more than that for them.

Upon return, I noticed how slow my usual web sites were and since the rest of my house in wired GigE, I began testing the speed. MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT. It has never been better than 2.1M, and has usually hovered around 600K, although I do get a consistent 760K upload. Calls to tech support revealed US based staff (not outsource to India), and a minimum of technical skills. I did find out that CenturyLink only guarantees to meet 60% of their advertised bandwidth, so keep that in mind when you look at their adverts.

They promised to come out the next morning and look at my line, since the benchmark I ran for the CSR gave 430K DL speed. She thought that was a little bit under their guaranteed rate, but not by much. (WTF?). By late afternoon, they had not shown up and calls only revealed that they had not been out yet. No explanation. Days later, they did come out, and could not offer any explanation.

I am now getting a consistent 3.9 to 4.2M and I guess that is the best CL can do, even though it is only 40% of their advertised rate.

Comments: