CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by DaveMcLain See Profile

• Location: Cuba,Crawford,MO
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Stable, reliable connection"
Bad "Hookup took FOREVER"
Overall "This DSL service seems to work quite well"

At this location we had been using a wireless high speed internet service provided by MISN. It had been working for about 5 years with mixed results. It could be fast or it could be slow but over the last year, mostly slow. I investigated other sources and CenturyTel had a good deal on a bundle for phone service too so we switched.

The company sent out equipment line filters, router/modem combo within about a day or two of placing the order BUT it took about 1 1/2 weeks to get our line up and running/switched on at the central office. It took a few calls to get them to realize that we had requested service and at what speed that service was supposed to be set to run. This long lead time has been my biggest gripe.

I ordered the up to 10Mbs package and our connection runs at a steady 5Mbs

The service has been very reliable, streaming high quality video via You Tube, Amazon and Netflix works very well.

The hardware sent by Century Link did not inspire confidence, they sent the Westel 7500. It's a lightweight cheesy plastic box with limited features but it seems to work just fine in a simple home network configuration. I configured the network so that it serves as the router but I use a D-Link DIR-655 as the main wireless AP. This setup has been reliable and has required no reboots. The router is ok and it tends to give an IP address via DHCP fairly quickly.

So far the service has been excellent and the only thing that scares me a little is that if we have problems how long will it take to get them resolved? The reason I say this is just because it took so long to get them to turn on the service after I placed my order and they sent out the equipment.

Comments: