CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by toby See Profile

• Location: Enumclaw,King,WA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Works great between 2am and 6am"
Bad "Doesn't work great between 6am and 2am, i.e: when I'm awake"
Overall "Only use if you no (ZERO) other options."

Have 1.5 Mbps / 896 KBps DSL.

The DSLAM is fed by 8 x T1 lines, serving about 100 homes.

3 of the T1s are out and have been for weeks or months.

I do not know how many of these are used for data. But I have been told that they oversell each data T1 line to 8 homes, used to be 7, CL increased the over sell ratio.

5 x T1, 5 x 1.544 Mbps, used for 64 homes. No wonder I get this speed test result during the time when people will be using their connections.

Last Result at CL speed test
Download Speed: 0.406 Mbps (0.1 MB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 0.729 Mbps (0.1 MB/sec transfer rate)
The closest server located in Seattle, WA performed this test with a latency of 34 milliseconds.
Test Date: Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:20:36 PM

Levels Downstream Upstream
SNR: 31 dB 13 dB
Attenuation: 31 dB 19 dB
Power: 11 dBm 12 dBm

CL talktous email does not reply to questions about if it will be fixed (not when), just an IF. I get no response.

Most nights we get 0.2 or 0.3 Mbps, increases the latency too.

Update:
Still terrible, the talktous email ignore any questions like "Is the DSLAM oversold?" or "Can you give an address of someone I can write to that deal with the internet being very slow between 8am and mindight?" .... They do not respond. Terrible.

Have filed a complaint with the Washington AG office, not that I expect anything from that. But please, can other file complaints too?

member for 12.4 years, 5321 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Paladin_A

join:2010-05-21

as do i

computer guy

@174.137.103.x

same here

It was out all night last night and from what I've heard is still down today (I'm at work on another service provider). They also had issues about a week ago. Both times I called and got the message about Kansas having problems, so I didn't bother talking to a service rep, as I know they can't do anything to help me.

HATE CENTURY

@embarqhsd.net

cENTURY LINK IS HORRIBLE.

Go back to embarq. I have had to call on the average of 2-3 times per week because of area wide outages in the state of Kansas, then they tell me it is because I live in a small town. Okay, THAT IS DISCRIMINATION. I type medical records for a nationwide company, but I suffer the consequences because I live in a small town and cannot provide my company with the hours of coverage that I agree to with my job. I will NEVER TELL ANY ONE TO USE CENTURY LINK.

hate century

@embarqhsd.net

Re: cENTURY LINK IS HORRIBLE.

If you are consistent about anything it is very poor service. You are supposed to be a leading provider but obviously you are lying to all your customers. You are only consistent about high charges and not providing what you advertise.
crescentdave

join:2009-01-20
Eastsound, WA

Centurytel in San Juan County Oversold & Horrible

I'm paying for "up to 10 Mbps" speeds. This is what I'm getting right now @ 8 pm. Centurylink is pathetic. It's a monopoly so it can misleadingly advertise, over-sell services and not provide any sort of solution. No competition? No speed during the evening.