CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by StuartMW See Profile

• Location: Ouray,Ouray,CO
Good "Did exactly what they said when they said they would"
Overall "Got what I asked for"

This review applies to a service upgrade I got through CenturyLink as I've been with QWest (now CenturyLink) since 3/10/2011.

My initial (QWest) service was 7Mbps (7168/896) and I noticed, in the CenturyLink forum on this site, that higher speed service was available in my area. I called CenturyLink as their online page did not know what modem I had and would not allow the upgrade without placing an order for a new modem (at $100). The lady I spoke to was able to confirm that my modem would work with ADSL2+ (12122/896) and that my rate would only increase by $5/month. She gave me an estimated upgrade date (8 days ahead) and the change occurred at 3am on that day.

My connection is solid, just as the 7Mbps has been, and speed tests confirm a top rate of about 10.4Mbps which is about right with TCP overhead etc. In short I'm very happy with the service I received.

Edit 1/13/2012: I've now had two billing cycles and the 12Mbps service charge is $50/month with a $10 promotional discount. That's less than I was paying for 7Mbps!

member for 14.3 years, 7424 visits, last login: a few hours ago