CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by watmore See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Fair price, speedy connection"
Bad "Tech support horrible"
Overall "Works great, good price, insist on US based tech support if you need help"

·PHONE POWER
This is a review mostly of Century Link's (lack of) tech support. First let me say CL did repair the problem but only after I called to cancel service. They offered US based tech support and sent a tech who changed my outside wiring and fixed the problem.

My initial calls to CL tech support were answered by the worst overseas call center people I have ever encountered. The first agent told me that having many modem retrains meant merely that I had to replace my modem. Simple as that. Wrong.

The second call to CL overseas tech support was even more bizarre. The woman didn't know what modem "retrains" were. I explained that it meant the modem tries to re-establish a connection with CL. That 26 of those in one day were unusual. No, she told me, every time you go to a web page, your modem will initiate a new connection with CL. 26 web pages means 26 retrains. Right?!? Dial up? ISDN??? Anyway, then she told me that I was too far from CL's remote terminal so that I would have bad connections during peak hours. ??? Never mind that the service had been working flawlessly for a year until the multiple retrains started. She said if I lived closer to the remote terminal I wouldn't have any problems during peak hours. What???

Anyway, CL did finally fix the issue but only after I hung up and called to cancel and only after those peple kindly got me US tech support which actually knew to send a tech out. The tech was great and spent lots of time figuring out where the "fault" in the outside wiring was. He even gave me his cell number in case I had problems again.

Bottom line, it is worth a fight to get US tech support. Why does CL bother with the worthless overseas call center people who have no idea what they are talking about and only serve to anger customers?

member for 7.2 years, 418 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Technicholas
join:2010-11-11
Winterset, IA

Onshore agent?

The special word to get to a US agent is "Can I have a onshore agent please" Repeat if needed.