CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by BewareofDoug See Profile

• Location: Englewood,Arapahoe,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Screaming fast 40/20"
Bad "Poor communication/problems with ordering website around modem."
Overall "Great deal for the speed, at least for the first year; possible modem stability issues?"

I switched from Comcast when my 1 year internet deal was up. I tried to talk to Comcast about upgrading my service, and change my tv from the bare-bones local channels to full blown cable w/DVR, etc. All they would give me was full rates. I'm sure if I'd worked at it through multiple channels, I could have gotten something.

Checked out Centurylink (formerly Qwest in my area), and they were offering 40/20 service for $29.99 for a year, when bundled with DirecTV. I think my total bill for the bundle is maybe $90, with DirecTV HD DVR and second HD receiver.

Ordering was easy, but they had something screwed up about the modem. I wasn't given an option for 'bring my own modem', only lease or buy from them. But they had it in their system that I would 'bring my own'. So install day came, and no modem. After calling they were helpful directing me on where to acquire the modem (no so much on the what, but I pretty much had it figured out). Had some challenges with Best Buy, but I was up and going within about 24 hours of when I originally expected to be.

I ended up buying the Actiontec C1000A.

Mostly happy with the service. I would say VERY happy with the service, but my modem required a reboot this morning. DSL connecting was good, but it noted the internet connection was disconnected. Tried a few things, then finally rebooted the modem, and it came right up. If this is a recurring problem, it could be annoying. In the 12 months on Comcast, I only had one outage -- the day AFTER my Centurylink provisioning, but before I had my modem.

Point of comparison: The customer experience related to the DirecTV portion of my bundle was absolutely extraordinary - flawless and perfect. Checklist reminders on what I needed for the install, when they would be there, both via phone and email, etc. I had to reschedule the install due to my Centurylink install issues, and that was also easy and painless. In the past, I've sold service systems, much of it into Telcos. I've never seen anybody come close to providing the experience DirecTV provides. Flawless end-to-end execution. Something for Comcast & CenturyLink to shoot for, and they have a long ways to go.

member for 12.9 years, 595 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago