CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by Theresa See Profile

• Location: Box Elder,Pennington,SD
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "If you can get a hold of someone in the states the techs are helpful"
Bad "You can't ever get a hold of someone in the states"
Overall "I hate this company"

We don't even get broadband it is DSL and when I have a problem I have to fight with someone "offshore" about it. I was given a number to go around that and they disconnected the number. I am what they call a premier member and if this is how premier members get treated then I would hate to see how they treat regular members. My times are incredibly slow and I often have issues with the telephone lines. They were going to have me fix all the issues by plugging my phone into another phone jack. I have 2 phone lines and only 2 phone jacks, both phones had static and problems. The oh so wonderful person on the phone told me that since they had already been out to fix the line a couple times the problem had to be in the house not outside, but I have been paying for line backer so that line is their problem too.

I have been having one problem after another with this company since they bought out Qwest. I loved Qwest but I hate CenturyLink and I am stuck with them.

Comments:

linicx
·TracFone Wireless

Let me explain it.

Do you remember the good old days when ISPs oversold what they could provide and you couldn't get on line? You called and they said it was your equipment when you know it was not? It is the same old pea-in-shell con game. Now, instead of a dial up connection to a local ISP, it is DSL or ADSL, or FTTH or FIOS and an international telephone company that can give Las Vegas 40/40 and 100 Gbsp to Paris or London, but can't share i bit of extra bandwidth to give rural America a telephone that fails to deliver the "crystal clear" voice quality it advertises.

I have the same problem in my rural Midwest city that you have in your rural mountain city. You need at least 8/2 or 10/2 to pretend you have a decent internet connection and a VoIP phone. Their phones have not worked since they turned off POTS. I am a regular customer.

This company does not want to serve rural America, it never has. Neither does AT&T, Cox, Comcast, Roadrunner, etc.. It is not profitable to string wire between towns that are 20 miles apart that are not congested like LA, LV, NOLA, NYC, etc.. I just talked to another lady from the Dakotas who is having the same problem as we are. .

The only thing you can do is complain to your state utility commission that oversees utilities like, gas, lights and telecommunications, and don't stop. Complain to your senators and representatives in your state and in Washington. If we are paying for a phone service we should get it, or pay a lot less for getting a lot less service. I pay $70 for 10/.500 bundled with a phone. If you pay for 10/2 and do not get it, something else is wrong and it is probably at the Central Office. Actually it is in the board room.
Theresa

join:2013-01-15
Box Elder, SD

Re: Let me explain it.

Oh no I pay that much and don't even get 10/2, I am supposed to get 7/1 or 1.5, I can't remember off hand, but I don't even get those speeds. The repair man came out today and he checked the lines and said it had to be in my house so his solution was to put another phone jack in, right in the middle of the wall in my office. I went outside and looked at what he had done when he left and there is a phone line hanging down the wall, not tacked down or anything.

I am ready to give up. Only problem is the other solution is no more reliable and has even worse customer service. There is one good company and they don't come out to our house, they go across the road from us but not to us.

·TracFone Wireless

Re: Let me explain it.

The other company can't serve your side of the road. It is all about political and protected territory that stops competition. .

They all say it is your problem when it is theirs. They do not want to fix problems they create. Rural America is the runt pup that gets pushed aside. If you can connect to the Internet -- the problem is NOT in your house or between your computer and where it connects. You probably have a box out side of your house you connect to or you have a pedestal you connect to. The point is you connect. You need a real tech - not a kid in training. Telephone is a bit different than cable. You may not have a strong connection if you are not near the telephone office. I am 8 blocks I have a good steady connection. What I don't have is a good phone.
Theresa

join:2013-01-15
Box Elder, SD

Re: Let me explain it.

I actually live right outside Rapid City which has around 80k citizens and we do have 2 choices. In town they have 3 choices. We are able to pick any company we want.

The repair man came out and he did this ugly job of putting in a new phone box, all the while explaining things to me as if I was stupid. We have 18 months left on the contract then I think they will be history.

Re: Let me explain it.

Theresa, what phone box did he put in? Did he say why? Did it improve anything? Thx.