CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by babyj See Profile

• Location: florida
Bad "horrible speeds"

I am paying for 10 for my internet speeds and I only get .42 on speedtest.net. When i call century link, which i have been calling them for over 2 years now, they tell me that i have to go to centurylink.sppedtest.net to check my speeds because the other websites arent good, but low and behold there website says my speeds are alot higher than what speedtest.net shows. OF COURSE!!! After always having the run around with them on the phone, cvoming out to my house, and the server is like 1000ft from my house. There is no issues from there side only on my side. They h ave no idea what it could be. When my internet is slow, it is freaking slow!!! I cant even watch a youtube video in 720p. This is ridicoilous!!! I am typing so fast write now because I am so angry at these people for never fixing my internet speeds. There was one time that some guy came out to the box that was down the street from me and changed a line or something and it wa s great for like 6 months and now once again its the samw thing. They never fix the problem! Try to download a game or your ping for your games, yeah right!! That will take forrever!!! These people suck so bad and they need to fix my internet. I am so sick of paying for 10 and not getting atleast 8 or9. never use these people they always give you the run around and its always the same thing they say. Its my computer, its my line, its my modeom, its my server, its my blah blah blah blah!! They have changed everything that they can possibly think of and my computer and wiring in my house is new so thats not it. Also when they gave me a new modeom/router it was the same exact one. I would think they woiuld have a better one then the one i have,but i am not sure on that one! Never usre these people!!!

Comments:

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

I understand

There are a many reasons why the Internet is slow. The #1 reason is 30M people on line at the same time. 7-12pm can be very slow especially on weekends. Your distance from office makes a difference, too. 9,000 feet won't get the same speed as 500 feet. How fast is your processor?. i7 is faster than the i3. Also CL is doing a lot of upgrading this summer. It affects a lot of us and it takes a considerable amount of time to finish. Sometimes the six weeks or longer seems like it lasts for a year; it rarely does. Rebooting usually doesn't do anything. Is your flash current? It makes a difference.

The #2 biggest problem in the summer is contractors that cut the local cables or the nick the national backbone.

When you are slow what do you see when you look at your modem and router. Are the lights all green? If so try rebooting your modem, router and pc. If the problem is between the pc and router it might help. If it isn't it won't.

Do you have a bundle with phone? I do. It helped me a lot when the tech separated the phone from the net and installed a whole house filter. Ask if your modem needs an update, or can it be updated? Are they willing to try a different modem. They changed me out to a Zytel.

This is about CL and the equipment in their office. Did tech support check all the lines and connections from your house to the office? Can/did they reboot your modem in their office? Did/can the tech change out your card in the office?

10/1 where I live is a conversion from fibre to DSL POTS that is delivered over copper the last mile. The best uplink speed you can expect is .768. CL is stingy with the uplink speed.

As to speedtest, I get the same speed from it as I do from the CL speed test.

It will all eventually settle down. The people who answer the phone are clueless as to what, where or if there is a problem.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Re: I understand

CL is not "stingy" with upload speed. ADSL/ADSL2 can only do ~1Mbps on the upload.

Once your area is upgraded to VDSL2 you will be able to get 2,5,or 20Mbps on the upload.

This is what i get on my CL line over WiFi, this is what you can easily expect once your area gets upgraded:

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

Re: I understand

You're in Phoenix. I can expect 35/20 in the next 35 years. Maybe. But don't bet book on it. CL barely supports tiny markets in rural America - where it has no intention of spending any more money or time than absolutely necessary - to barely maintain basic service. The horrid DSL phone CL used to replace the dependable POTS line barely works this is, of course, when it is not oversold which is pretty much normal S.O.P. when you are the only land line in 500 sq mi., and the competition is another telco. Surprise! They both use the same fibre in the same office to deliver content to the same area at almost the same price. Regardless of whether it is DSL or VOIP, one is still saddled with a cellphone if one expects 24/7 phone service - in rural America where I live.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside