Embarq Now CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by brugar See Profile

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
  • Telco party Sprint
Good "Consistent, reliable service."
Overall "Good value"

Update - January 2013

I am continuing to use CenturyLink Pure Broadband High Speed Internet service at 10 megabits per second (10M/768K). I renewed again on a 12 month contract at $59.95 less $20.00 promotional discount plus fees giving me total cost of $41.93 per month. Contract has a $200 early termination fee.

My modem syncs at 11772 kbps down and 887 kbps up on ADSL2+ mode with fast data path.

I participate with the FCC / SamKnows internet monitoring service. Measurements for my DSL service during December 2012 as reported by SamKnows:

Downstream throughput: 9.97 Mbps average 8.36 Mbps min 10.35 Mbps max
Upstream throughput: 0.74 Mbps average 0.49 Mbps min 0.77 Mbps max
Latency: 31.73 msec average 25.17 msec min 829.76 msec max
Packet loss: 0.23% average 0.00% min 19.49% max

Service has been better than 99.9% reliable. Reliability would have been even better if CenturyLink had not bungled a central office equipment upgrade. The work on my line should have been done overnight instead of during the day. Once I reported the outage CenturyLink technicians promptly restored service. The equipment upgrade was completed the next day without disrupting my service.

-----------------------------------

CenturyLink upgraded my Pure Broadband DSL service from 10M/768K to 10M/896K last week. They also changed my data path from fast to interleaved. I sent an email to TalkToUS@centurylink.com asking to be switched back to a fast data path. They responded within a day to report that my fast data path had been restored.

After trying Clearwire for several months, CenturyLink's introductory offer of 10 Mbps Pure Broadband offer at $29.99 per month on a 12 month contract was too much to resist back in January 2011. I renewed on a 12 month contract at $40 plus fees/taxes with a $200 early termination fee.

I am in an area where Prism TV is offered. I signed up last year for the Federal Communications Commission broadband monitoring program run by SamKnows.com. Data collected by SamKnows confirms my experience: consistent, reliable broadband service at or near advertised speeds. From Sprint to Embarq to CenturyLink, my DSL service has been always been reliable.

Looking back six years to my previous review, I find that I have DSL service that is more than six times as fast for only 20% more money.

My review from 2006 -- 1.5 Mbps DSL service - $35.00 per month - 12 month contract

Helpful and well informed customer representative. Placed order on Monday for 1.5 Mbps DSL. Received self install kit on Tuesday (Sprint SP-660ME-61 modem/router). DSL service scheduled for Thursday. Live at 2:00 am on Thursday, as promised. Smooth as glass. No problems.

Comments: