Embarq Now CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by Hazy Arc See Profile

• Location: Greenwood,Greenwood,SC
Good "Connection is ok during the day"
Bad "Connection slows considerably during evening, no forseeable speed increases on the horizon"
Overall "If there was a viable alternative, I'd be gone in a heartbeat."

I've been a Centurylink (previously Embarq) customer since 2007. I'd like to sit here and tell you it's been fun and games since I became a customer, but sadly that is not the case.

In the 5 years I've been a customer, I'd say my connection has been flawless less than 20% of the time I've had it. In fact, in 2008, I had scheduled a cable install after dealing with a high latency/slow speed problem for over 5 months. Only after I was personally contacted by an employee of then-Embarq asking me to allow them to help did I stick around. It turns out our area had been placed on bandwidth exhaust (big surprise there), and the problem was fixed another 2 months later. Since 2007, I haven't sniffed a speed upgrade - I had 3Mbps then, and that's where I'm stuck. 5 years and no upgrades? Come on!

Nowadays, I rarely get my advertised speeds, and I am experiencing high latency and slow speeds during the evening. I know, I know - why not go to cable? The answer is two-fold: First, my local mom-and-pop cable provider (Northland Cable »User reviews - Northland Cable Television) is notoriously bad, even worse than Centurylink (if that's possible). I have to laugh when I see folks complaining about Comcast/Charter/etc. - I'd give anything to be serviced by them. The other reason I haven't dumped Centurylink is because I have been a true dry loop DSL customer since I started, so I literally pay $39 a month for 3Mbps internet, no bogus taxes or fees that are tacked on like with their insulting "Pure DSL" offering. Since they no longer offer true dry loop DSL, I'm hesitant to drop them - especially if Northland didn't work out. If Centurylink ever removes my grandfather status, I'm outta here.

Ultimately, like many other smaller towns in the United States, the problem is lack of competition. Well, let me rephrase - Centurylink and Northland are certainly in "competition" in Greenwood, South Carolina - but it's a contest of who can provide the worst value for the most money.

member for 8 years, 2768 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

I can't speak..

I can't speak for S.C., and I feel your pain. These problems are often related to small communities and distance from the plant. I live in a county where it is 14K people versus thousands of tons of corn and beans every year. Two telco many miles apart serve cable and phone with Internet. My bundle is $73 for 10/1 and phone. Both work 98.9% of the time, but am in the city less than 6 blocks from the plant and the POP is outside my door.

The odds of FTTN, FTTH or LTE are slim and none in my lifetime. I am grateful I am not saddled with 1.5 down.

You should be able to get cable and then see if they will let you test Internet for a week. Ours will. If you like it switch. I'm going to drop SAT for local basic cable.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside