Embarq Now CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by ydoucare See Profile

• Location: Rensselaer,Jasper,IN
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Excellent speed when it's good, quick install"
Bad "It's going down the crapper"
Overall "Started off great, turned sour, STAY AWAY!!"

·Frontier Communi..
I live in a rural part of NW Indiana, roughly 9 - 10 miles from the nearest town (5k pop). Embarq recently deployed DSL out into these rural areas, so I had to jump on it. I ordered the 5/768 tier on 2/11/09 via the Embarq website. This was the bundle deal with basic voice for $70. The Zyxel 660 modem arrived Saturday, 2/14/09, while the service was set to be activated on Monday, 2/16.

Got a call around 3 PM on Monday (2/16) to confirm that DSL was ready on my line. So I setup the modem, and it was working. Did a few speed tests and got consistent results of 5/768. »www.speedtest.net/result/412431696.png

The only thing I could say that I am disappointed in is the first hop latency, which is right at 41 ms (same as our Embarq business line at work). A relative of mine who lives a couple miles farther out of town than me sees around 18 ms to the first hop. I do understand the difference between interleave and fastpath...and that not everyone that is on interleave sees the same first hop latency. I talked to a tech that said the equipment I am on does not support fastpath (ADSL2+?).

I will post an update to this review in a week, and follow-up with more updates in the future.

==/ Update - 2/24/09 \==

Someone from Embarq was kind enough to switch my line to fastpath, so my latency has dropped by roughly 20 - 25 ms. Service is still solid, 5000/768 24/7.

»www.speedtest.net/result/417549310.png

==/ Update - 3/1/09 \==

Everything is still going good. However, latency went back up by about 15 ms. There seems to be a 20 ms jump to a level3 hop that was previously much lower. Can't fault Embarq for it though.

Tracing route to google.com [74.125.67.100]

11 64 ms 64 ms 65 ms 216.239.48.69
12 65 ms 67 ms 66 ms 72.14.239.127
13 75 ms 71 ms 75 ms 64.233.174.46
14 64 ms 66 ms 65 ms google.com [74.125.67.100]

UPDATE - 5/5/2010
So for the past several months, I've struggled to hit 5 meg down, except during very off-peak hours (despite having an excellent signal). Contacted support, and they apparently fixed a trunk issue and it seemed to help. A week after that it was crap again. I'm starting to lose confidence in CTL.

UPDATE - 5/17/2010
The past couple weeks my downstream has been pretty much anywhere from 500 kbps to 2.5 meg, no higher than 2.5 meg. With the help of CTL_Joey, we got someone to come out and look things over and they've found issues with some T1's. On top of that, they no longer want to support 5 meg for me because they only have 4 T1's...so they're dropping me down to 3 meg. Makes a person wonder why they sold me 5 meg in the first place.

UPDATE - 5/18/2010
And it continues....the word today is that 26 or 27 users on 4 T1's doesn't work very well, and they're just now figuring that out. I want to know WHY they would sell me 5 Mb knowing this(and if sales didn't know this then that's an even bigger issue). The guy that called me (very nice guy) said I for sure will be dropped to either 3 Mb or 1.5 Mb. What a great week.

UPDATE - 5/21/2010
They are dropping me down to 1.5 Mb. Way to go guys. Oversell your bandwidth then make the customers deal with it.

UPDATE - 5/24/2010
I am now officially on the 1.5 Mb plan. Words of advice to CenturyLink: Don't sell me something you can't or don't even intend to support! My connection is now just barely faster than my previous Sprint EVDO connection.

UPDATE - 5/25/2010
Now all they need to do is get my latency back to where it was and i'll be fine....but it seems they're having trouble getting my first hop latency below 33, when it was 16 - 17 before. The latency is far more important to me than the bandwidth. We'll see how it goes, I've done pretty good so far in not letting myself get pissed off, but it's getting harder.

UPDATE - 9/20/2010
Pings have been junk during peak hours the last 3 or 4 days, and can barely hit 1.0 Mb of my 1.5 cap. I knew this would happen. They just dropped us all to 1.5 and forgot about it, now they've probably added even more subscribers and bandwidth is running thin again. If it doesn't clear up, they're either going to increase capacity at the DSLAM or they can go screw themselves! Sprint EVDO is better than this right now.

UPDATE - 9/30/2010
CTL's not even going to bother. I would be out of a job if I treated my clients at work the way these people treat their customers.

UPDATE - 8/16/2011
I didn't even realize it's been almost a year since the last update. Basically, I'm still on 1.5/512, and it's STILL garbage in the evenings. Yes, ONE YEAR from my last update, and they still do not have enough bandwidth at the DSLAM, even though there is supposedly a project in the works to get more bandwidth.

UPDATE - 3/8/2012
So, they did eventually get more bandwidth to the DSLAM and my connection went back to normal......for a while. However, it's been absolute GARBAGE for several weeks, routinely sub 500 kbps, 300 ms pings. It's sad that there are no laws in place to prevent this kind of thing. It would be nice if we could demand the services we pay for as easy as they can demand payment every month. They're nothing but frauds. They wait until they can't stand their customers bitching anymore before they increase their network capacity. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

UPDATE - 3/22/12
They finally fixed it. Bandwidth and latency is solid again. However, they can't seem to figure out how to get my first hop latency back down to where it was. Used to be 18-20, now 36ish, and it's supposedly "fastpath". I don't think they know wtf they're doing, honestly. Sad company.

UPDATE - 5/17/12
Like clockwork, the same exact issues are back. Bandwidth is routinely under 1 meg, pings are all over the place, with around 5% packet loss.

Comments: