Embarq Now CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by KA0OUV See Profile

• Location: Jefferson City,Cole,MO
Good "Works great. Never down. Consistent Bandwidth. Low Latency."
Bad "(Minor) It's 3Mb/640Kb DSL."
Overall "It Just works. 5 1/2 years in, it still just works."

I purchased 29.95/month (Forever) 3Mb/640kb DSL from Sprit/Embarq/CenturyLink when it was offered in a big push in 2006. I have two phone lines with them already, and the DSL was purchased to go along with Mediacom Cable and possibly supplant it. I ended up keeping them both.

The DSL just works. Speed tests are always on the rails, and it is always available, even when the power is out. If I can get electrons to my computer and DSL modem, I have high speed internet access.

Latency is very good and consistent, and local peering has made accessing stuff close to work easier. Higher speed is available, but I am keeping the "locked in" cost for now. No muss, no fuss.

Equipment is Zyxel Prestige 645 modem. It also just works. It has had one firmware update to it since it has been in service. I ran it for a long time as router before moving to bridge mode.

I have had just a couple of interactions with tech support, and the PA call center I worked with had excellent staff. I have also worked with the local store after it was open one time, and also had excellent results from store staff. They were knowledgeable and had their stuff together.

As I said in the bottom line, it just works.

member for 4.5 years, 1338 visits, last login: a few hours ago