Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Rook008 See Profile

• Location: Far Rockaway,Queens,NY
Good "Easy Install, Good download speed."
Bad "Low upload speed. A little pricey, but bundling saves some money."
Overall "If you don't need high upload speeds, you should be ok."

--The install process went pretty smoothly.
--RCA DCM425 Cable Modem (Current Equipment)
--Speed is OK (10 down, 1 up is my current speed) Tech support is average.
--$45 a month is pretty reasonable. No contract.

I ordered RoadRunner residential cable internet service and had an appointment set up for 5 days later. I wanted to do a self install and save myself 20 bucks, but my computer didn't have an NIC, and one isn't included in the self-install kit. So I let them install one for me.
They gave me a 6 hour window for install. The first guy shows up, puts the splitter on, hooks up the modem and makes a call. He says I'm ready to go as soon as the NIC guy shows up and puts in the card. He also says that if I cancel the service, Time Warner wants the modem back in the original box. The modem is a Toshiba PCX 1100.I sign some stuff and off he goes.
(Unfortunately, the pen I used to sign the paperwork goes with him!)

Near the end of the 6 hour window the NIC guy shows up and installs the card. It was a Realtek PCI model. He boots-up the computer but Windows doesn't recognize any new hardware. He tries to install the sofware manually, but no-go. "Must be a bad card" he says and pulls out another one. Install. Boot-up. This time it takes. He starts up MSIE and browses over to RR's site, sets it as the home page, and says it's ready to go. He also gives me the pop and smtp info because I told him I don't use Outlook and I could set up my e-mail later. He leaves me the install disk for the NIC and tells me about passwords and such and off he goes.

The speed is pretty good, and I would say that it's also pretty consistent off-peak and on. I'm getting 1600 down/345 up pretty much all the time.They say that the IP is dynamic, but it's been the same for a while now, probably since installation. I had a minor problem with MSIE 5.5, and used RR's instant messaging tech support. He managed to walk me through fixing it without trouble. One of the good things about RR, in my opinion, is the lack of software to clog up my hard drive and cause problems. The only software they installed were drivers for the NIC (I was already using MSIE 5.5) All I have to do to surf is fire up my browser.

At $45 a month it doesn't seem like a bad deal, but if I didn't have cable TV it would have been around $60 a month. That seems kind of inflated if you ask me. I wouldn't have subscribed if I didn't have cable already.
So far, RoadRunner seems like a good value and I haven't had any major problems.
I hope this remains the case.

So far, so good.
It's been a few months and the speeds are still consistent, even during peak hours. I'm getting 2000 down and 365 up almost always (after finding the right tweak numbers.) I have never had to contact customer support since the first time, so I can't comment on that area of service. No outages that I'm aware of, no problems with mail, and I don't use the newsgroups. The IP address doesn't seem to change very often, but it's not a big deal. So far, so good.
I hope this remains the case.

Update: December 2004
RoadRunner is still doing well in my neighborhood. My speeds have increased from what it was at signup to 3000 down, 384 up. Right now, however, it's 5000 down, 384 up. The price is still what it was at signup. There was one month of bad connections and drops, but that has since stopped and service is smooth.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I exchanged my old Toshiba PCX1100 modem and received a RCA DCM 315 modem. I like it better because it has a button on it to stop it from passing info from the internet to my PC.
So far, so good.

Update: May 15, 2005.
Service is still going strong at 5000/384. Same price. Steady connection even during peak hours. TW could increase the upload a little to help fend off the dropping DSL prices though. Other than that, no complaints.

Update: May 22, 2006.
Service is still consistent, 5000 down, 384 up, day or night. The only gripe I have with RR is the low upload speed. When I need to upload large documents or send pictures, I realize how behind DSL RR really is. Price comparisons with DSL made me drop that aspect down a point.

Update: October 06, 2006.
Still get consistent speeds, 7000 down, 512 up. The slight boost in upload speed is nice, but not enough considering the price of the service.

Update: June 14, 2007.
Speeds still consistent 10,000 down, 512 up. Newsgroups are great.

Update: December 17, 2007.
Speeds still good at 10,000 down, 512 Up. Newsgroups have been great late at night, but I cannot maintain more than 3 connections (at any time) and they fluctuate from 0 up to max download speed. Overall, still a good deal in my area.
TWC dropped free newsgroup access, I had to go with another provider at $11 per month.

Update: January 20, 2011
No problems getting the advertised speeds. I did have some trouble with the connection dropping out and the modem rebooting. It was killing my Xbox Live gaming. Called up TWC, walked through some basic troubleshooting. No go. They set up an appointment. 2 techs came out, checked levels, etc. They changed some splitters, and the connectors on some cable. There was a second line from the pole to my house that was unused, they swapped that one for the one I had been using. Signal levels were fine but the problem came back a few weeks later. Called TWC. This time there was no troubleshooting over the phone, the Rep sent a tech out 2 days later, on a Saturday. The tech couldn't find any problems, but swapped out the Cable Modem. So far, so good. No problems getting advertised speeds day or night. I haven't tested online gaming yet.

Update: November 30, 2011
Speeds still the same at 10,000 down, 512 up. It's fine for me as I do very little uploading. The connection is pretty consistent too, I haven't had any problems that a modem reboot couldn't fix. Online gaming is not a problem. The FiOS people come by my house every couple of months to pitch for Verizon, but I still haven't really entertained the idea of switching.
Overall I'm still happy with RoadRunner.

Update: September 2, 2012
For the first time since having RR installed, I'm considering cancelling RR and TW cable TV in favor of Verizon Fios. The reason for this is the last two months of unreliable service from RR. I don't know what the exact problem is and neither does TW, which is the really pathetic part. The connection would be fine for a while and then drop down to dial-up speeds, or the modem would reboot itself, or the connection would fail altogether and not come back for hours.
If you are located in my area of Queens NY, I'd advise you to give Fios a try before you sign up for an unreliable connection from Time Warner.

Update: October 22, 2012
Had Verizon install Fios today. Taking TWC's equipment back soon.

member for 12.6 years, 5023 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

kilrathi
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

agreed on rockaways

Yes, time warner has issues with upstream noise in rockaway areas and are too lazy to do anything about it now for months, I am unable to get true verizon fios, only a vdsl due to living in multi dwelling unit however I was told by verizon that this will soon change in my case and when it does I will be off time warner, I have given them months and months of chances to fix their act and nothing is really done. I wish there was more compeition than just verizon here because time warner really needs a wake up call.

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

TWC sucks now in my area too.

I had a reliable connection for years but the past month I too been having slow problems and disconnects. At least you are lucky that you can get FiOS in your area. FiOS will never be available in my area since we have underground wiring so it it either these losers or VDSL which would be worse. I am stuck.

Rook008
Miles To Go
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Re: TWC sucks now in my area too.

Oddly, the past couple of days have been ok. I get instances where the connection slows to a crawl, but not as often as before.

I can't play online games with it like this though. The connection was reliable for years before this.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Pita

@rr.com

TWC Bites but we're "stuck" in western NY

TWC bites for internet which is all I need it for. I have had issues with spotty internet since we bought our home. I have a new cable line running directly into office and TWC has been to my house at least 5 or 6 times in past 6 years. D/L speeds are decent U/L is pathetic, always has been...been kicked offline playing cards online. I already purchased my own modem and its been activated with RR's modem returned to them. Purchased modem wasn't on the approved list, I went by specs and price and now my D/L speeds have nearly doubled during peak time U/L is same but I still get some lag occasionally. Hoping modem lasts me at least two years to pay for itself and hopefully I can get a decent ISP then.
I have DirecTv & Vonage...I could save some cash by using MJ but that would mean I couldn't call the UK and other places I normally call for free.
$54 a month for service and that's standard