Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by OvrQualified See Profile

• Location: Winter Park,Orange,FL
Good "Speedy, fairly reliable, good customer service experience"
Bad "When it's down, it's DOWN; support coordination could be better"
Overall "Good value, great service, but call your local offices if you have problems"

I ordered residential RoadRunner from Bright House (formerly Time Warner) a several months ago. As I recall, the install was quick, and both technicians were very professional (one came to run the cable, the other brought the cable modem and tested the lines).I've had a fairly constant 2000/384 kbps service, and found the service to be reliable. The supplied Toshiba PCX1100 works great and I don't experience slowdowns at any time during the day. The modem is hooked into my Nortel Contivity 1010 gateway and RR supplies DHCP to the gateway.The service has only been down thrice--once due to a downed pole (drunk driver) the other was due to a blown on-pole amplifier (the one in my backyard), and the most recent outage was due to having my tap disconnected accidentally. I've found that the national helpdesk was of no help and only when I called the local customer service number did I receive competent, up-to-date information (after I had them understand that I was technically oriented--I do networks for a living--they skipped all of the usual steps and went straight to checking connectivity to my modem). A service call was required for the second incident--the technician came the same day and changed the on-pole amplifier--he was on time and very courteous as well.All in all, I've found RoadRunner in Winter Park to be a reliable, enjoyable, and speedy way to get online...I love it!

Updated 31 August, 2004.

Hurricane Charley came and left and it took Bright House a full 17 days to restore cable service to our area. I really only have one complaint about the whole thing: they didn't keep their customers or the media abreast of the restoration efforts (like the 4 major utilities did). At any rate, they helped me set up a free dial-up connection in the meantime and they're going to credit my account for the 17 days, so it was all good.

Updated 9 November, 2005.

Well, another year has come and gone, and my RR connection continues to serve me well. The connection is stable, and I'm averaging 4800/256. No real problems cropped up this year--short of a tap accidentally getting disconnected (and getting subsequently credited for the outage of my cable--customer service was apologetic and helpful to resolve it).

Updated 2 December, 2006.

My RoadRunner connection continues to provide quick, reliable broadband service. This year, the speed was upped to an average of 7900/512. One service note: my original Toshiba PCX1100 cable modem bit the dust by power cycling every 20 minutes and was replaced next day by a Bright House tech with a new Terayon TJ715. Local customer service continues to be responsive and helpful. No real complaints here. National service desk on the other hand...well, that's a different ballgame altogether. I prefer not to call them.

Updated 18 May, 2014.

Bright House continues to provide fast, reliable service with minimal downtime, I switched to business class last year and continue to be pleased with speeds and service.

member for 12.8 years, 5118 visits, last login: a few hours ago