Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by GeekJedi See Profile

• Location: Mukwonago,Waukesha,WI
Good "Super Fast, Low Latency"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Excellent!"

Update (6/10/12):

The shootout has begun! Shortly after my 2008 review, I went back to CenturyTel after being offered a deal I couldn't refuse. Back then, they were still a small local phone company that did a great job providing DSL. Unfortunately as of late they've spent most of their money on acquisitions instead of infrastructure, and the service is getting bad.

A few months ago I decided to get Time Warner Cable TV. The install went just fine, and their service has been good. Since my one year "promo" with CTL is just about up, I figured I'd give TWC another shot.

So I went to Best Buy and bought a cable modem. Called up TWC to get it connected. The first rep was clueless and really couldn't help. As soon as she ended the call, I called back and got a great rep who set me right up. Unfortunately, the modem wouldn't register correctly. So off to Tier 3 I go! That guy was awesome! He spent about a half hour with me, eventually figuring out that there was a problem with the MAC information from the factory. He eventually got it sorted out.

So, it's been a couple of weeks. I did have a service interruption yesterday afternoon for about 5 minutes, but otherwise the service has been great! I am just about ready to have my DSL disconnected.

The only issue I have is with pricing. After the promo is up, the price will be $10 more than what I was paying for DSL for the same speed. At that point I'll have to decide if it's worth it. At any rate so far, so good.

Update (5/22/08):

I've been away from RoadRunner for a couple of years now. I had phone service from CenturyTel, and for the same price as RR I could get 10000/768 DSL from them.

The service worked great, but like most people I no longer use "land lines". I could get "dry DSL" from CTL, but the price is $59.99...with taxes, the total is closer to $70.

So, back to RoadRunner!

The install was smooth, the service just like when I had it last time, is working great! The surprising thing for me is that the ping times are better on RR, and the speed is more consistent.

Having 10000/768 was nice, but it's worth the money saved ($15 before taxes, more like $20+ after) going with the 7000/512.

Update:

I can't believe how great TWC is around here! I've had the cable modem service for over 6 months now, and I have had no problems whatsoever! I did have an administrative type question once, and they picked up the phone right away and gave me the right answer on the first try.

I have been so pleased with them that I dropped DirecTV to go with cable from them. They still haven't disappointed me!

Original review:

I was worried when I left Comcast land...I had them for two years, and was very happy with them. I didn't know much about Road Runner.

Now that I've had it a few days...I love it! It is faster, and has lower latency than Comcast.

So far, so good!

Comments:

kilrathi
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

you should feel lucky

you lucky, better hope u never get signal issues locally near u or u may get into long battle with tw regarding fixing it...