Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by bidger See Profile

• Location: Elmira,Chemung,NY
Good "HUGE Improvement in speed over the 1.5Mbps Verizon DSL"
Bad "None so far, but I'll edit my review if and when they occur"
Overall "Verizon forced my hand and I'm happy they did for now"

I placed the order online on the 28th of Jan. for $34.95/mo RR and they would have installed the same day the wireless g Motorola modem that was part of the special arrived, Feb. 3, but I asked for the 12th. Technician went above and beyond with the install, but had to leave a modem until the one shipped to me was authorized the following Monday Feb. 15th.

I know people are taking TW to task here for taking the # 3 spot for national ISPs, but I think it's Verizon that should get the grief for losing that spot. They've chosen to sit on their hands and TW has improved service in my area and that's why I migrated. If TW does something stupid like metered bandwidth, my opinion could change. For now, I feel it was a huge upgrade, at least 4x the speed of DSL and it shows when I'm streaming video. There is no perfect provider, only one that offer the most of what you're looking for at a price point you can live with.

Update 8/19/11: In early July I added Digital Cable to my services for $79.99/mo. for one year. I had a TiVoHD that I was using for OTA, so I added a Cable Card and Tuning Adapter to my services for an additional $2.50/mo. It was a little rough at first, but for the last few months it's been stable. I'm able to see AMCs "Breaking Bad", E!s "The Soup", and Ovations "Later...with Jools Holland" in HD, something I wasn't able to do with DirecTV. On a related note, I suspended DirecTV for six months while I assess TWC. It's not quite the equal of DirecTV for PQ, but it's not bad. I'm thinking about picking up a CableCard multi-tuner for my Win7 HP PC. I want to see what rate TWC offers after the promo is up. All-in-all still satisfied. No outages and speed is consistent.

Update (8/28/13): Price for Turbo and Digital TV is now $120/mo. @ the start of my third year w/ TWC as both my TV and Internet provider. Service has been consistent so far. Docsis 3.0 is available in my area. I've been hesitant to upgrade because I have a customer-owned modem, which was free after two mail-in rebates. Looking at picking up a Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH for two HTPCs and an Echo and be rid of the TWC box and the TiVo as we get closer to the Holidays.

Comments: