Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by MyDogHsFleas See Profile

• Location: Austin,Travis,TX
Good "Solid connection. Service OK."
Bad "Nothing yet."
Overall "Pleased with DOCSIS 3.0 service"

·Mediacom
UPDATE: Had it for a few months now. I've been upgraded to 30/5 on Extreme now that the DOCSIS 3.0 rollout is complete in my area.

I do have a complaint... connection reliability is significantly worse than AT&T, but tolerable at least for me. About once a week now I have to reboot the network, and my iPad connection to the WiFi is spotty (although my other devices seem to be fine). AT&T was outstanding on connection reliability. So I've downgraded the "connection reliability" setting.

ORIGINAL REVIEW FOLLOWS:

Had AT&T U-Verse and AT&T DSL before that. Left Road Runner some 7 years ago because old DOCSIS 2 system wasn't good enough for VoIP. TWC finally has DOCSIS 3.0 in Austin and it's cheaper and faster than U-Verse VDSL2 so I thought I'd give them another try. The quality seems much better, zero dropped packets and good latency with little jitter. So I'm keeping it.

Price difference: U-Verse Max Turbo $75/mo, 24/3 service. Road Runner Extreme, $50/mo, currently 20/2 service, will move to 30/5 in a couple of months when they upgrade the headend to support bonded channels. Wifi modem/router is included which is better than the U-verse gateway because it has gigabit ports and 802.11n support (though not simultaneous dual band - you have to choose 2.4 or 5.0 Ghz band) and you can put it in bridge mode if you wish.

Order/install process wasn't bad, techs showed up on time in the stated 2 hour window and called first. Only glitch was they didn't provision the wifi support on my account and it took a 2nd tech visit to figure that out - the symptom was that the wifi would just turn itself off.

They supplied a Ubee modem/router which seems to be working OK although the Web UI is difficult and ugly, but the functionality is all there.

member for 6.9 years, 2029 visits, last login: 2 days ago