Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by antdude See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Good speeds and uptimes."
Bad "Sometimes technical problems on their ends like outages, firmware problems with modems, support, prices go up every year, etc."
Overall "Good when it works."

I used to have Excite@Home (early 2001 with brand new cable lines since this old nest never had cable before) and Adelphia PowerLink for broadband Internet before they went bust and TWC took over. During those early days since 3/10/2001 for several years sucked badly (DNSes didn't work, uptimes and speeds (e.g., 150 kB/sec during the early morning hours) were awful, etc.). Adelphia finally upgraded their cable system to be DOCSIS in the city, and it was fast and stable! And then, they went out of business.

TWC reused the same cable system. Once in a while, there are outages (usually short ones), slow speeds, etc. Very rare, there are long ones. I think the longest uptime was almost all daytime, but TWC will make up for the time loss of your next bill if you tell them especially if it is a known issue in the area. Support can be bad though due to incompetent people. However, there are forums and chats on TWC's web site, avsforum, and on this web site with people (official and subscribers) who can help through online supports.

Note that I still can't get any fast and cheap broadband services (e.g., DSL is too far due to 20K feet to CO according to GTE and Verizon). Also, no FIOS. Dial-up sucks (3 KB/sec) and lots of line noises.

Also, my old nest's service ended on 9/5/2014 afternoon PDT. I am still using TWC in the new nest with its triple bundled service. The review is pretty much the same (no DSL [used to have it too with the previous owners]). Prices still keep going up!

member for 14 years, 5829 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

antdude
United State

No one likes my review, eh?

:P

join:2012-09-20

Your review is about right

Though help on this site doesn't do any good if the techs in your area just flat out suck and not trained on HSI service. It's not like the freaking customer can replace the line from the house to the node with in reason. Get trash support on that and well your just screwed. Corporate is 100% useless at TWC. Online chat is useless and phone support is on the other side of this earth and even more useless because at least one can mostly understand chat support even if there full of BS.

Now a oddly happy Comcast customer because at lest the local techs aren't 100% clueless and have there own laptops to test with unlike the overly cheap TWC.

I thought Comcast was worse? I guess I will find out after the merger happens.

A lot say that, but haven't had both in the past two years like me, so I have seen how both run unlike most posters.

The Comcast tech replaced my line and had his own PC to run test, the Time Warner cable tech had his two eyes, a hammer and a beat up old truck with limited TV know how and internet was like on some other planet to him. (Didn't understand what tethering a cellphone was and if that worked and TWC didn't then the PC was likely fine. Had no understanding of signal levels at all nor did he get why a bunch of 404/ 1min load times for web pages was bad. Didn't get that up to doesn't mean 1mbs on a 10mbs plan should be okay. Didn't get what internet speed meant at all really. And wanted $100 for a "BS call".)

I thought Comcast was worse? I guess I will find out after the merger happens.

Interesting. Adelphia and TWC install guys seems OK for my parents and me. I never had to have anyone come over to fix issues. I do agree support sucks on phone and online.

1 recommendation

said by antdude:

The funny part was that the Time warner cable tech wanted me to prove that the PC could in fact use and work with the internet before he would do anymore and that if I called again it would cost me so then when I showed him the PC tethered to the phone, he said "so it is working and you called me out here for BS. Your going to have to pay for that".

The levels of stupid, just never stopped amazing me.

OpTiC
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

The TWC techs uses a laptop but it's a Panasonic.

DrDrew
That others may surf
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

1 recommendation

Re: Your review is about right

Panasonic Toughbooks are common with telcom workers and others working outdoors needing a tougher computer. I had one several years ago.
You cannot fix a problem that you refuse to acknowledge.
sherazbutts

join:2014-09-20
Pakistan
ptcl speed test
i check my PTCL speed test with »www.pakistanihub.pk/2014/09/ptcl ··· est.html you can see my speed test result above screenshot... my internet speed is 16 mb but above pictures results is different can you tell me the site which speed test accurately..

said by OpTiC :

The TWC techs uses a laptop but it's a Panasonic.

I have never seen Adelphia and TWC guys use lappies to install and setup stuff. Is that only when they do repairs and support?