Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by EwanG See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Almost as fast as advertised"
Bad "Still somewhat slow, freezes up from time to time, orange cable in backyard"
Overall "I'd say pick someone else, but they all appear to suck"

Just finished my two years with Clear/Clearwire, and after six calls was told I had finally been processed for cancellation (two weeks later my account still shows them planning to bill me in March... argh!). So I was ready to move on.

Picked TimeWarner RoadRunner because I figured the speeds would be faster, and they were about 25% cheaper than the equivalent AT&T UVerse package for Internet Only.

TW gave me a window of two hours on a Saturday two weeks later, and when that window was up I called in. First agent said to just wait since they couldn't see anything on their desktops, and had no access to the dispatcher. An hour later I called again, and was told that while they give you a two hour window, they assume that anytime the same day is "ok". Why bother giving me a window then?

Another hour later and two guys showed up (in different trucks). About an hour and they had everything installed. They left quickly, which I suspect was because they knew when I went out back I'd have a conniption. Sure enough, they had run a cable from the box in the back corner of the yard, through several bushes at about knee height, and finally into the house. Inside was only slightly better with the modem looking like it had previously been used to locate IEDs in Iraq.

Speed promised was 20mb/s, best speed I've gotten is 14 mb/s. Still better than Clear at a fast 6mb/s on a good day and 0.35/s most of the time.

Have tried arranging to have the cable buried a couple of times. Keep getting told they can only schedule a full day window, but they will call first. No visit or call on either day they promised. Not much hope for the next one.

I'd cancel, but honestly, is there anyone serving San Antonio that's any better?

member for 9.5 years, 24 visits, last login: 1 year ago