Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by VanNuysBear See Profile

• Location: Panorama City,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Technician was on-time and professional"
Bad "Technician needed to be a little better trained on the services he was installing"
Overall "Good experience so far. Time will tell."

Finally decided to switch from AT&T DSL, which I've had for more years than I care to admit. Due to distance from AT&T's CO, the maximum speed available was 1.5. While I was holding out for U-verse, it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

So, I signed up for internet service from TWC. Ordered the 30/5 package. The on-line ordering was simple to navigate, and an appointment was confirmed via e-mail. My installation window was from 8am - 10am. A "robocall" was made by TWC to my phone the night before to confirm the appt. The installer showed up at about 8:45am. There hasn't been any type of cable service to my house in over 15 years, so there was no longer a drop to the house from the pole. The installer took all that in stride. We discussed where he'd attached the drop, install their service box on the side of the house, and how he'd run the wire to where the modem would be located. After that he went right to work, and was done in a quick amount of time. His work was very neat on the outside of the house.

My only "negative" issue was this. Since I had my own router, I did not plan to use their router or wireless. A Motorola SGB6580 was installed. When I asked the technician to put the modem in "bridge mode", he did not even know what that was. I would think this might be a common enough request that the installers should be trained to understand what that means and how to accomplish setting up the modem this way. So, I sent him on his way, and having done my research prior to his arrival, I was able to get all of the settings done.

So far in the two days I've had the service, it has been rock solid, providing the advertised speed at all times. Here's hoping it will remain that way!

member for 8.8 years, 2776 visits, last login: a few hours ago