Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by nzer See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Very fast when fast"
Bad "Rarely hits speed paid for"
Overall "No outrageous surprises"

Was happy to hear RR offered a self-hookup - pickup at a local TWC store and hook it up myself but after talking with an agent on the phone she insisted a technician should come hook it up for me. I didn't like the idea at first since I didn't want to have to co-ordinate with more people during the moving process, it turn out cable service was physically disconnected somewhere in my building so it was good the tech came.

However, the tech did not leave any literature regarding services, or any information about the modem. After a few days of experiencing intermittent outages, I decided to look into the setup to see what was wrong. Turns out the modem was providing wifi services even though the tech said it was not. The modem was also setup as a DHCP server etc etc. I read online reviews saying that the modem might have been too busy or isn't powerful enough to be a switch for multiple devices... and TWC could sense my internal network traffic... so I decided to follow some forum advice and turned the modem to bridge mode. Seems to be working better now. No intermittent hangups so far but speed tests indicate we are not always hitting the 15down/1up that we're paying for.

Comments:

hardyd

@rr.com

Road Runner Time Warner

For the small town I live in, Road Runner is the only game in town if you want a broad band connection. Having said that we are on the tail end of line/service upgrades. The big cities get this first. I talk with family members who have speeds that are awesome in Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. I am pleased with my 8mps down and 2mps up it is all I need to play my on-line games. Eventually we will catch up with everyone else!