Review by SixSpeed
Good "None to speak of lately."
- Location: Bridgewater,Somerset,NJ
- Cost: $169 per month
Bad "Service has become unreliable."
Overall "I have triple play, the price is rising steadily."
|Pre Sales information:|
Value for money:
(ratings well below consensus)
**READ MY FINAL UPDATE BELOW**
*THE GOOD POINTS:
* Quick and easy to set up and get going.
* The install package is very complete, software, manuals, cables, splitter, etc.
When things are right, the download speeds are excellent.
* Tech Service has gotten better, even offering a direct forum on DSL reports.
THE BAD POINTS:
* Connection is spotty, often erratic download speeds ranging from sub dial up speed (25k) to blazing fast (1.5 Mb/sec). This instability happens often and is due to old infrastructure in my area. They are working on it with me.
* Mail service is spotty but getting better.
UPDATE - * News servers have been outsourced and have much better retention, Connection speed on the news and mail servers is still capped. 2 connection limit.
* Unless you get the right person, Technical service can be frustrating. Every time you call them you start from scratch which is frustrating if you have a long term problem.
* DNS is unstable, I had to go to a 3rd party DNS server application.
If all you are concerned with is download speed, this *MIGHT BE* your ISP. When the system is humming along (which isnt that often) the download speed and page loads are very fast which is nice.
All in all I am not happy with OOL. I dont D/L tons of files and spend all kinds of time in front of my computer but when I do I want it to work.
Lately it doesnt work often.
**UPDATE** As of 7/24 I will be switching to Verizon Fios. My areas service has degraded to the point where TV service is pixelated and internet is 40% of advertised speeds on good days. I have has multiple tech visits and one manager visit, all with limited results. The SA HD boxes are frustratingly slow and infuriating to use. The service has lost all its shine and gives me more problems than any sane person can put up with. I honestly did not want to go through the hassle of switching all 3 services and losing my 9+ year email address but CV left me no choice.
**UPDATE** I have been on Fios for a while now and had not had one outage or any issue at all. My HD TV pictures are INSANE and the service is rock solid. My package has 25/25 service and is ~$25 a month cheaper than my Cablevision IO silver with 10/5.
I couldn't be any happier having dumped CV.
member for 11.9 years, 2748 visits, last login: 1 days ago
updated 2.8 years ago