Optimum Online page on DSLReports

Review by momcat1 See Profile

• Location: Wappingers Falls,Dutchess,NY
Good "better than dialup, few total outages"
Bad "frequent dropouts, hard to get service issues addressed"
Overall "we have no other choice for high speed; they're getting worse!"

We have no other options for high speed here, so we're captives.
We have regular Optonline, with iO and Opt Voice
Intermittent low signal associated problems, ongoing since 2002. Not resolved.

Update Dec 2008: Outside techs did spend several concurrent months this year, and for the most part it does now work. Video dropouts rare, but internet and phone still occasionally dropout just long enough to lose your conversation or your download. It is better than previously. It just seems that for the money, it should be nearly flawless.

Update Aug 2009: nothing new to report, other than rate increases.

Update Dec 2011:business as usual, it is what it is. You regulars are familiar with CV's MO.

Update Aug 2014:by accident, we found the only thing that has stopped the audio and video artifacting - a Sony Google box. Putting that inline, between the STB and our sound system has made an improvement by 98%. And in case you think it's a coincidence- the Google box had to be returned for a warranty replacement last month. During the whole two weeks we didn't have one, the artifacting was again horrible. As soon as I added the replacement Google box, the atrifacting disappeared. No change of cables. I don't know what that box if filtering exactly, but it makes cable watchable again. The box does other fun stuff, too.
This year we absolutely couldn't take the incessant price increases (let's call a spade a spade) and paying for content we have no interest in watching. We cut the tv package down by 4 tiers.

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Unusual.

Wow, that's definitely not the optimum I know.
I have a friend that has them and loves it. And I would too -if I could get it.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
·Optimum Online

Re: Unusual.

Nope, optimum is CRAP.
I've had it for years now and they always seem to find ways to diminish the service.
When they got severely spanking in the FCC comparisons, and were found to be the WORSE for delivering service, they finally over-provisioned the tiers to mute the obvious slowdowns that occur daily.