Review by quintin3265 See Profile

• Location: State College,Centre,PA
Good "Speeds higher than advertised rate and low ping times, never gone down, much more reliable than Verizon's FiOS"
Bad "Only bad point is that connection should be biased more toward uplink and less towards downlink"
Overall "You get what you pay for, and Comcast's business class connection is the best service I've ever had."

Updated on December 7, 2011:

What a change from four years ago. Whereas I previously considered Comcast the worst ISP of all, they have significantly improved their customer service, improved the quality of their network, and instituted transparent policies that are fair to everyone. I now highly recommend Comcast.

I have Comcast's business class connection at the lowest speed of 12/2, which is sufficient for my usage (about 350GB/month). That is actually the slowest speed on offer, even slower than their residential service, but for me it matters more how much data I can upload, rather than how fast it uploads. Uploading a lot of data allows me to easily make offsite backups and publish 1080p content to YouTube.

The business class service just works. It has never gone down even once, and it has never dropped below the rated speed, ever. I've never gotten any calls about bandwidth overages, and they have never complained about the web server I run in my basement. I pay them my $60.00, I never hear from them and I get excellent service whenever I have a question about my bill or anything else. I may even upgrade to 22/5 tier after this experience.

Their ping times and their reliability are consistently superior to Verizon's FiOS network. FiOS, in my experience, tends to have DNS issues and dropoffs, and is overprovisioned compared to Comcast's network. While FiOS may promise higher maximum speeds, in reality Verizon's speeds fluctuate throughout the day. Comcast promises a lower speed but has never failed to provide it. This is important for things like streaming live video and making video calls, when you need to be able to stream at a constant bandwidth. Comcast's only fault is that it has allocated too much of its bandwidth for downloads and too little for uploads; I rarely have a need for so much download bandwidth but saturate the uplink frequently. Comcast should consider that business class users have needs for more upload bandwidth than residential users and provision accordingly.

It's amazing how a company can turn itself around in three years. I now highly recommend Comcast, and you certainly get what you pay for in upgrading to the business class connection.

----------------------------------------

My previous review from 2007:

I ordered Comcast in December 2007, taking advantage of their 16/2 offer, the highest tier of speed. I paid significantly more for this upgrade, mostly for the increased upload speed. I run a business offering high definition 1080i wedding videos (updated for clarification: occasionally, three times a year on average), and I post these videos on a website and upload them to an FTP account for access by customers. One month, I uploaded a video several times after making corrections.

Comcast called one day with a "high priority message," instructing me to call back ASAP. When I did so, a technician told me that I was using too much bandwidth and that I had to reduce bandwidth usage in order to remain being serviced by Comcast. I pointed out that they advertised "unlimited" usage and that I had paid a significant amount more than their competitors for a higher-bandwidth connection. When the technician refused to be of any help, I asked for a definite figure as to how much usage I was permitted. The technician, rather rudely, wouldn't say, stating that I only had to "significantly reduce" my usage to remain in compliance with this under-the-radar policy.

In response, I reduced my service level to a lower amount of bandwidth (8/768 in this case) until I switch providers. What's the point of having a higher bandwidth rate if you will go over their invisible cap by using it? Comcast engages in deceptive advertising by touting their "unlimited" usage, and then buries in their terms of service somewhere a clause that allows them to harass their customers over bandwidth usage. I can understand that Comcast needs to keep its network operating at full capacity, but what I cannot understand is why I could not obtain from a technician the exact limit that I should abide by. How am I supposed to adhere to a policy when I don't know what it is?

This incident made me research other options in my area. I found that DirectTV has more channels than Comcast, and that there is DSL available as well. As soon as the guy arrives to install the dish on Aug 2, I'll be ditching Comcast for cable, internet, AND phone. Until Comcast decides to be ethical in its business practices, I suggest you avoid them as well.

UPDATE: I called several different departments at Comcast in an attempt to see if they all had the same story and if one of them would provide the limit. The sales department claimed that they "had never heard of that," and it wouldn't be surprising if Comcast withheld this information from salespeople. The tech support department was more knowledgable, but not by much - first the tech claimed the limit was 4GB/month, then it was "maybe 40GB/month," and then he said he's seen people disconnected for using "300GB /month." He rather rudely said "wow - what do you need that bandwidth for anyway?" When I told him that purchasing a game online and then downloading it (which I prefer over traditional boxed copies) can take 10GB easily, he seemed shocked.

On August 3, I called Comcast and disconnected my TV service for the first part of my switch to other providers. When the representative asked why, I told him this whole story, and he was as surprised as I had been to learn of this policy. Comcast might start by informing its customer service people of ALL its policies, not just those policies it thinks people would like to hear.

Comments: