Review by QLR See Profile

• Location: Tallahassee,Leon,FL
Good "Decent speeds, timely set-up, no landline needed, less buffering, ESPN3, billing"
Bad "Inept CSRs. Don't call in if you don't have to."
Overall "In the battle of the C's, Comcast wins. And surprisingly, it's cheaper!!!!"

I had CenturyLink/Embarq for 18 months... I was happy for the most part, but I was getting annoyed by the constant buffering and some dropped connections (?); sometimes, I would have to enter a URL multiple times. Also, the 404 opt-out service never worked for me. Slightly annoying. I wanted to up my speed but CenturyLink tops out at 3.0M DSL in my area.

I switched to Comcast when I received a telemarketing call about switching my landline... I declined the landline, but I decided to take the internet offer: 8/1 internet for $33 for 6 months and after that $56. There is no contract. After receiving my bill today, I realized that my 8/1 internet is called Performance Plus and is 16/2 (either I am getting ripped? or the offers aren't up to date with Telesales). I get between 6 and 8M down and between 2 and 3M up on the Comcast Speed test site; On DSLR, I often get between 12 and 15 down and 2 and 3M up. So I am likely getting what I am paying for. Ordering was simple enough... they could have been out the very next day, but I scheduled the tech to come out on Saturday since I work during the week. The subcontractor came out as scheduled and all went well.

I am using a Motorola SB5100 modem and all seems well so far... although I am irked by the lack of a reset/power button. There is only a standby button.

The only glaring problem I had was connecting a new Cisco N router to my computer/cable modem. After several hours of headaches, I switched back to my old Netgear G router... Got a Netgear N router and all went well. I think I saw a post or something stating that Comcast + Cisco is a no-no.

Fortunately, I haven't had to call tech support and I hope it stays that way.

All in all, if Comcast is available without a mandatory contract, get it. Also, I am enjoying ESPN3 (formerly ESPN360)... this is something I could not access when I had CenturyLink/Embarq.

UPDATED 3/28/11 I am at the 12 month mark with Comcast HSI and it has been a breeze mostly. Hating the high price ($48 for 12/2), but my only alternative is DSL with CenturyLink and to my surprise, they have hiked prices and I qualify for only 1.5M max. So I will stick with Comcast.

UPDATE 4/5/12 I just upgraded my internet as a result of the recent price hikes. I decided to bundle my internet and cable via the Blast Plus plan, featuring Digital Economy cable and Blast internet. Via the online chat, the bundle is $40 for months 1-6, $60 for months 7-12 and regular price (currently $80) after that. Still a happy camper with Comcast. OTOH, CenturyLink wants $50 for 1.5M/768K dry loop DSL. So, I will have Comcast for the time being. I bought my SB6120 modem back in July and I am glad I did. It will pay off in 4 more months

UPDATE 6/26/13 Still on Comcast. I received a notification a couple of months back stating that I was getting too many channels on the digital economy tier. I, unfortunately, was hooked on one of the channels not on the economy tier. I initially tried to keep the Blast internet and simply tried to upgrade the TV plan. I was unable to find a suitable pack so I ended up downgrading the internet to Performance (ewww. I miss Blast) and taking that phone as part of the Starter XF triple play ($99/month for 12 months). I still miss the speed of Blast... I have had some slowdowns on Performance. Phone seems ok enough, don't expect a lot of use on it; but hate there isnt a battery shipped with the phone modem.

UPDATE 7/25/13 I was able to get Blast as an add on to my triple play package for $10 more per month as suggested by the respondents to my review. And it is really the champ! However, I am tired of the nickel and diming... $2.99 to make changes to your account?!?!!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? The phone quality is mediocre.

UPDATE 5/10/14 The internet is AWESOME as always. I was paying $10 extra for the Blast add on, which became an Extreme 105 connection. My 12 month promo ended last week, and I actually upgraded the TV plan, and dropped the Extreme 105 add on. Net result is that I am paying a few dollars more than before. Phone is ok, Video is fine, despite the rocky week with the DVR. Checked with CenturyLink, still only qualify for 1.5Mbps... this neighborhood will likely not see improved speeds nor Prism.

Comments:

user2

@comcast.net

Comcast

For $10 extra per month you can add on Blast!.

Re: Comcast

I will have to check into that.

May have to look for a router that can handle the speed as well... My Belkin and Cisco routers top out at 25m for some reason

GiantJack

@comcast.net

SB5100

It will help if you upgrade the modem from a Docsis 2.0 modem to a Docsis 3.0 modem. Docsis 2.0 tops out @ abt 25mbs(megabits/sec), Docsis 3.0 modems can top out @ abt 103-105 mbs. Sort of like swapping out a 4 cylinder engine for a 6

Re: SB5100

I neglected to update the original review completely. I am using an Arris 822 phone modem... And I was using a Motorola 6120 when I had Blast. Comcast wouldn't allow users to have non D3 modems on blast.

DELETE Dup post