Review by sherman06810 See Profile

• Location: Danbury,Fairfield,CT
Good "Reliable, delivering promised speed, responsive sales and technical staff"
Bad "TV price is high, tv channels flicker, no DOCSIS 3.0"
Overall "For Danbury, CT I suppose this is the best I can get"

Service breaks out to:

$109.90 - 16/2 Business Internet (with 5 static IPs)

$62.92 - Digital Starter

$16.95 - Digital Preferred

$7.95 - HD Technology Fee

$7.95 - CableCARD

$0.58 - Franchise Related Cost

$7.37 - Taxes, Surcharges, & Fees

I've had both Cablevision and Verizon FIOS services when I lived in Pleasantville, NY. Moving to Danbury, CT (a mere 25 miles away) has meant a few steps down in services and value delivered. Working with 16/2 (the fastest speed offered) internet has been frustrating after being spoiled by Cablevision's 30/5 and Verizon's 35/35 offerings. The internet they do deliver, however, has been reliable. I haven't had any issues with the SMC Cable Modem / Router combo, and Comcast does not block any ports. During peak hours I am by no means exempt from Comcast's saturated transit links (so much for "business class" service). Some websites respond slowly and gaming latencies will sometimes double. VoIP calls are still smooth though.

On the TV side, Comcast is slowly rolling out the HD channels I enjoyed before with both Cablevision and Verizon. The first round was last week and the second round is in March. Hopefully this frees up bandwidth for DOCSIS 3.0. The quality of the channels is good but all channels are prone to some skipping/artifacts. This happens on both my Comcast HD box and on my Ceton/WMC setup. The Comcast HD box is acceptable, offering me the same crappy Cablevision guide but is actually responsive. I have not tried their on-demand services. The CableCARD install was a pleasant surprise as it only took 30 minutes door-to-door.

The TV price is extremely high considering that both Cablevision's and Verizon's residential triple plays cost less. As a subscriber to Digital Preferred, I receive the NHL Network in standard definition. Despite paying the "HD Technology Fee" and Comcast clearly paying for the rights to carry the channel, they will not give me the NHL Network in HD unless I "upgrade" to the Sports Entertainment Package (an additional $7.95/month).

Customer service has been a positive experience, offering credits for misinformation and explaining Comcast's billing structure accurately. Technical support was very helpful with a CableCARD issue. While I did not talk to internet technical support directly, a post to the Comcast HSI forum cleared up a silly ComcastTataVerizon routing issue. Go Comcast techs on DSLReports!

- Sherman