Review by dmk08809 See Profile

• Location: Clinton,Hunterdon,NJ
Good "When it works its fast (50Mbps down, 10Mbps up)"
Bad "Problem is is hardly ever works! 6 truck rolls in last 7 weeks!"
Overall "Great if you're a masochist. It really has been a true test of patience."

·Vonage
Installed in early September with relatively minimal fuss through a local door-to-door sales person. First 5 weeks after installation were wonderful -- realized immediately what I was missing out on speed-wise compared to the CenturyLink DSL I had since 2001. The Blast-level service here is upgraded to 50/10 and only $29.99/mo for the first 6 months as a new customer. Not a bad price and the speed was blistering fast. It was even stable for the first 5 weeks. We're using the Zoom 5341J modem which bonds 3 upstream and 8 downstream channels. Dropped DSL for this thinking my prayers for decent and reliable internet speeds have finally been answered.

After the first 5 weeks it all started falling off the rails. Online chat support is mostly a joke. Reboot, reset, rinse, repeat. Before first tech dispatch in mid-October they insisted it was my modem. OK, swapped that. No change. Modem keeps throwing upstream ranging errors, latency, jitter and packet loss go through the roof every 30 seconds to a few minutes.

I'll spare all the gory details in this particular review, but this upcoming weekend will be the 6th (yes, you read that correctly, SIXTH) appointment and truck roll. Comcast has replaced pretty much everything from the tap. What we do know is that my upstream SNR is ~18.7dB which is apparently horrid. Followups to previous dispatches and calls have been virtually non-existent. I mean, the folks are friendly & courteous and actually act they they are trying and care. But at the end of the day its just wasted air -- nothing is ever done and the communications / followup keeping me informed of any progress or status is pitiful. The Customer Guarantee? LMAO! If that were actually real they'd be paying me for the service by now!

I've tried engaging ComcastSteve in the direct forums and other than a response he "tweaked this or that", nothing has been a fix. The Comcast Corp Exec Support "we can help" folks are again friendly and apologetic, but followup with them has been inconsistent at best and resulted in no permanent fix or even having it escalated for attention in the field.

Hard to believe I so genuinely want this service to work as badly as I do otherwise Comcast would have been history after the third outage & dispatch. Next stop is the local municipal franchising authority and an informal complaint the the NJ BPU office of consumer assistance. Not much to lose. Fortunately my DSL order should be fulfilled this week and I'll have a reliable service for backup purposes again. I tried to save a buck while improving speeds and now realize the foolishness of that folly -- at least when it comes to Comcast.

member for 13.1 years, 2385 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
tdumaine
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

You really contacted executive escalations?

Ive contacted them once concerning a packet loss issue (was really really bad) and the local repair techs etc were twiddling thier thumbs. Once i contacted them i had line techs and thier supervisor out that evening, a saturday no less, at 8pm.

Not only did it get fixed (bad line up the road) but also got a 3 month credit for all the hassles.

dmk08809

join:2001-09-08
Clinton, NJ
·Vonage

Re: You really contacted executive escalations?

Yep, you can be absolutely assured they were contacted. Last week on Monday AM I sent an email to "we_can_help@cable.comcast.com" and had a returned phone call that afternoon from someone within their corporate executive support team. The lady was pleasant and seemed helpful -- at least initially. Everything has stalled shortly after that contact and our connectivity troubles continue. From what I can piece together the corp group isn't getting much in terms of updates or cooperation from the local folks who actually need to work the problem. Its not uncommon for me to call several times now before so much as getting a return call back. Guess I've worn out that welcome mat.

So yeah, I really contacted them. Glad your experience was better than ours. Because honestly, it difficult to imagine it being much worse even though they manage to surprise each and every day but not in a positive manner!

Meanwhile connectivity was horrid again yesterday and the upstream SNR was again/still "red". Dispatch #6 is set for tomorrow so we'll soon see what the next punchline is. I'm persistent and tenacious while trying to keep a sense of humor about the whole thing. The credits are next up for pursuit but only after there's a fix in place tomorrow. (man, wasnt that an optimistic prediction! LOL! ...crack myself up...)