Review by PrymeMover See Profile

• Location: Olathe,Johnson,KS
Good "Excellent installer, quick turnaround, weekends available"
Bad "Mediocre routing, installation follow-up"
Overall "Acceptable speeds, high price, abysmal follow-up"

I recently moved from one KC suburb to another, and crossed a boundary between TWC and Comcast service areas. I had 100/5 service with TWC, and subscribed to 105/20 with Comcast. First impression...I have to say that speeds were more consistent with TWC - more sites, and more speedtests, would show me at or near my line's provisioned capacity. Comcast's routing, at least in this area, seems to be less optimal--I can still get my rated speeds using (one) of Comcast's speedtest sites, but most others are far lower than they were, relatively speaking, to TWC. The upstream is consistently faster; however, the (presumed) routing situation impacts it as well.

TWC was also cheaper - $80 vs $115 with Comcast. This is an area soon to be built out with Google Fiber (1000/1000 for $70), so it's somewhat surprising that they aren't trying to build customer loyalty ahead of time. If they were to double the downstream, I'd be happier paying the premium over my prior provider. I don't really need it (or even 105 for that matter), but I want it anyway.

Comcast also charges an absolutely ridiculous $250 installation fee for the 105/20 package--and that package only. I honestly don't know how they can justify this. TWC upgraded me from 15/2 to 50/5 to 100/5 without any spurious fees or home visits, so I have to wonder if Comcast is using it as a disincentive to prevent too many subscribers on a node.

The installer was on-time, professional, and did a superb job. He even ran a new line to the utility easement (at least I got something out of that $250 fee I guess?) based on the visual condition of the existing lines. He assured me that the burial of the run would be handled without intervention from me, so I let it go. However, a month later, the line had yet to be buried. In the meantime, both Dish and AT&T have installed services and completed their cable burials.

I finally contacted Comcast a couple weeks back and got a (new?) date set for the burial...which was missed. I called back and was told that I would have a response for the missed appointment and a new date within 24 hours...which didn't happen. I'm now over 6 weeks with a line running through the back yard. Annoying.

***Update: Comcast called the day after I initially posted this review and finally completed the cable burial. Glad it finally got done, but it should not have taken 6+ weeks and repeated calls.

My experience with multiple cable providers at multiple locations has engendered a fundamental distrust of cable service in terms of reliability. Accordingly, I have a backup AT&T U-Verse internet circuit as well, which has already had to be used more than once. It's slower, but it's also cheaper and more reliable.

***Update Oct 2014: Earlier this year, in what I can only assume was an attempt to preempt Google, Comcast started offering a pretty nice package - 250/25, plus an HD DVR and basic cable, for $70/mo. The term is 2 years, price guarantee for 3 years, with a new Comcast-supplied modem (no rental fee) and free installation. Though Google will likely be here before my term is complete, I signed up - why not? I'll deal with the ETF later.

The installation itself, though long, was fine until I went to do a speed test. I was only getting 5mbps. I pointed this out to the technicians before they left, but they spouted something about it taking up to 24 hours for the speeds to increase - which I knew was BS, but it was already evening and they were itching to get out of there (and I was ready to be done). I don't remember the exact details of what I then did, but ultimately I called in (multiple times) and they scheduled a truck roll to solve an obvious provisioning issue (sigh). Before they arrived, I got a call telling me that I was getting the correct speeds. Turns out, Comcast had two $70 special promotions - one that included expanded cable and 5mbps, and one that had basic cable and 250mbps. After resolving that, and getting the DPC3939 modem into bridge mode (you CANNOT set it locally, it has to be set by a CSR), I was set.

Performance of the connection has been pretty good. I regularly test at right around 290/30mbps. It's not terribly reliable though...any power outage more than a flicker causes the connection to go down, despite the fact that everything on my end is on UPS gear capable of hours of runtime. Usually, it stays down for hours and hours after the power is restored, too. My backup AT&T connection, on the other hand, has had a grand total of 418 seconds of downtime in 306 days. That's 99.998% uptime.

A few months ago, and after having ran fine for months, the DPC3939 modem decides it's going to start rebooting every 5 minutes. It's an exceptionally long and frustrating story, but the shortened version is that the modem has known issues in bridge mode (no idea why it suddenly started doing that after running fine for 4+ months). I tried to use a different modem, but Comcast has no config file for any modem other than the DPC3939 for that speed tier. So, I lived with double NAT for 6-8 weeks by using my slower AT&T connection for things it broke. It took that long before I had the energy to call Comcast again. I spoke to an agent that was, in a word, exceptional. After confirming that the bridge issue was supposedly resolved, we tried it...and no luck, it started rebooting again. We tried a few more things, each time the agent waiting to make sure the line was stable, before happening upon the sequence that worked--to manually disable wireless before setting bridge mode. This agent was truly exceptional, spending well over an hour on the phone and not hanging up until the problem was definitively solved, including waiting for 10 minutes to confirm it was stable. I wish this were the norm instead of the exception.

member for 14 years, 3585 visits, last login: a few minutes ago