Review by RaulG See Profile

• Location: Chico,Butte,CA
Good "Great speed. Self install. Able to use my own cable modem."
Bad "Speed is not what is advertised. Update: speed is now over the advertised speed."
Overall "Good, reliable service so far."

·Cablemas
Moved to an apartment and wanted to get DSL or cable. Tried to order ATT DSL online, and they couldn't find my address, so goodbye. Went to Comcast online and setup an installation appointment, selected using my own modem (got it online, Motorola Surfboard DOCSIS 2.0) and the service I wanted (internet only). Got my modem and hooked it up to a cable outlet, and it synchronized right away to my surprise, so I called Comcast customer service, created my account, activated the modem, and cancelled my appointment for a technician (saved 39.99 dlls). Been working great so far.

Selected the Performance service, which is 25/5 Mbps (down/up), for 29.99 for the first 6 mos. and then goes up to 44.99. Trying to find the page with the available services, with prices and commitments, is a major pain.

The only problem is the advertised speed of 25 Mbps. I'm getting 18 Mbps down. Not a great concern really, since that's way more speed than needed for Skype, chat, online TV, and every application that demands high speed.

Note: speed is now over the advertised speed. I'm getting over 30Mbps down and over 5Mbps up, and still using my Docsis 2.0 modem and going through a wireless router.

Bottom line: easy to install without a technician (but I'm an IT tech.), great customer service, and pretty good speed.

Comments:

Stardog

@comcast.net

Docsis 2.0 modem vs Docsis 3.0

Docsis 2.0 modem download speed tops out at about 23-25 Mbps, Docsis 3.0 can top out at 105 Mbps. If you want the 25 Mbps speed, you need to have a Docsis 3.0 modem. With a Docsis 2.0 your avg download speed with your level of service is going to be 12-18 Mbps. Docsis 2.0 is an older engineering specification and has been superseded by Docsis 3.0 which is what Comast has gone to. the 2.0's still work, but will go obsolete at some point in the future

Orlando

@comcast.net

Re: Docsis 2.0 modem vs Docsis 3.0

With a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, I'm getting 10% more than I should with Comcast in Orlando.
RaulG

join:2001-12-29
·Cablemas
Sorry to correct you, but a Docsis 2.0 can go up to 42Mbps down and 30Mbps up. Several speed test still with my Docsis 2, shows around 30 down / 5.5 up.

Not too shabby...