Review by KA3SGM See Profile

• Location: West Chester,Chester,PA
Good "No Hassle Sign Up, Line Was Still Connected from 2005 when I last was a Comcast customer, HSI Service was live within 24 hours."
Bad "Adding TV was a really bad idea, AnyRoom DVR Complete fail, PQ not as good as Fios"
Overall "Trying somthing OLD as Something NEW, The Xfinity WiFi Hotspots come in really handy when out on the road."

·Cricket Broadband
I Ordered Comcast HSI 20Mbps "Performance" Internet on 9/29/2013, and service was live within 24 hours. Self-install kit showed up 2 days later, I obviously didn't need it, but the $9.95 bag of assorted cables and splitters will probably get used somewhere.

I left Comcast HSI in 2005 for Verizon Fios, which has varied between being a total "Nightmare" to "Perfect". It's still a work in progress, but now I have 2 Broadband internet providers to compare, so I consider this to be both an "Experiment" and a learning experience.
At the time in late Summer of 2005, Comcast would not guarantee me any expectation of reliable service, due to being at a 300' cable length from their tap.

Their Signal levels at my house were -12dB at best case, the modem upstream signal was maxed out at 52-54dB.

Essentially, my Comcast HSI wasn't working 95% of the time, and Comcast's only solution was for me to pay about $2k to have them move their tap 250' closer to my house, and there was no way I was going to pay for them to upgrade their neglected equipment, just so I could be a happier customer.

Review Continuing:
I chose to purchase the Motorola/Arris SBG6580 DOCSIS3.0 "Gateway" modem, instead of paying the $7/mo to rent one from Comcast, it set me back about $125, and I am planning on hanging around at least as long as it takes to break even, barring any technical or service issues.

So far, I am pleasantly surprised with what Comcast has changed since 2005.

My signal at the house is now a consistent +7dB(up from -12dB), and the modem upstream power has dropped down to 32-35dB(from the previously maxed out 54dB).

Download Speed is slightly better than advertised, 24Mbps(actual) vs 20Mbps(advertised), the upload side is about 4.9Mbps, just shy of the 5Mbps that I had expected.
I have not optimized the TCP/IP stack on my computer for this speed, so the discrepancy might be my own fault.

Those numbers have been consistent, both day and night, so I see no evidence of network congestion, or an oversold node.
I plan to set up some line monitors to graph this over time so I have some solid statistics to report.

One interesting feature that Comcast HSI offers, but Verizon does not, is a plethora of public" Xfinity WiFi" hotspots.
A added feature i will be taking a closer look at as time goes by.

Update:

October 30 2013: Replaced Modem SBG6580 with SB6141, just to mess around with IPv6, and hearing of too many people having issues with the SBG6580 (Keeping the SBG6580 as a Spare for myself, or a loaner for friends that I would then transfer to their existing account).

November 2013: Self-Installed Comcast "Digital Starter" TV service, just figured that I would see if it's about time to dump Fios for Comcast, since the Internet was working so well..
Noted that A/B switching between Comcast and Fios, the Comcast picture was a bit "soft", less sharp, even the color depth didn't have the same "POP" as Fios.
I am thinking the Comcast picture was over-compressed, as evidenced by watching some football games, and noting that, in fast motion scenes, there were far more compression artifacts than Fios.
Not really objectionable, but still, not as good as Fios

November 9th, 2013: Upgraded to AnyRoom DVR service with one remote HD box included, this required paying for "professional installation" that I wasn't very happy about.
Right from the beginning, the AnyRoom DVR never worked, the remote HD box couldn't see the HD-DVR, and the HD-DVR itself would not record anything.
The install tech didn't have time to test, or troubleshoot the issue, as they were apparently running late for their next appointment on the schedule.

After getting the run around by customer service, over the course of 3 calls, and probably 3-4 hours on the phone, their only solution was to send another tech out to get everything working, but they could not guarantee that it would be a free visit, to fix what the original installer didn't install properly in the first place.

I exercised their 30-day "Money back" guarantee, and canceled the TV, at least until they get the X1/X2 equipment into regular circulation.
Then I might go back and try it again.

November 29, 2013: Canceled all TV services, and returned all of the boxes to local Comcast office.

I still have Comcast HSI, which has worked flawlessly from day one, so this Review is still a work in progress..........

updated 1 year ago