Charter page on DSLReports

Review by nunya See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Charles,MO
Good "Good speeds. Not much else."
Bad "Foreign Tech / Cust. service - hard to understand, install fee"
Overall "Charters new management is wrecking the company."

·surpasshosting
I ordered the 10/1 package bundled with video services. This is not my first dance with Charter. We've had a very tumultuous relationship for the last 18 years (I actually used to work there many, many moons ago). I requested a "Pole Only" installation this time due to various quality problems with installs in the past.

I supplied my own Motorola SB6120 rather than rent. When I called to get the modem activated, I had a very difficult time understanding the fellow on the other end. He kept wanting to schedule a tech appointment. I finally got everything going via Charters online services.

The speeds I'm receiving are near +/- the advertised speeds. Ping times seem to be a little longer than my DSL service, but shouldn't affect VoIP. This is day 1, so I will update later.

***

Update: I got my first bill and it wasn't as described on the phone. I was also told by other members that 10/1 is actually 10/2 now. So I posted in the "Charter Direct" forum (just regarding the speed) and received an almost instant response. It looks like everything is squared away. I bumped my "Tech support" rating up to *3* from a *1* based solely on the Charter support made available through this site.

***

Update: 3/7/11

It was about the time for my bill to magically increase after a one year term. I was able to post on Charter Direct here on BBR and get fixed back to a similar price point. No calling and waiting on hold to reach the right department. No trying to decipher foreign tech support.

For Charter having this tool available on BBR, I have raised my "tech support" rating.

Update 12/06/11

Got an upload increase. Speeds are good. I've had 2 major outages this year that were due to hardware failures in the OSP, one lasting 24 hours. The only major complaint I have with Charter at this time is their usage caps.

10/06/12

Earlier this year, I canceled the TV portion of the service and upgraded to 100/5 for $60/mo. I'm happy with the service at this price. The only reason I went with the 100/5 package is because of the usage caps. Otherwise 30 would have been fine for me. I'm very disappointed in Charters new pricing system and modem policy (I own my own modem and like it that way). From what I can gather, My bill will be increasing to around $100 / mo. when my term expires. I also understand that there is no longer any pricing flexibility for existing customers, so it looks like I'll have to consider different options in the near future.

I have had several outages since my last update. Some only lasting minutes, others lasting hours. One was caused by a contract installer working on the neighbors house.

Update 3/16/13

Last month, Charter arbitrarily raised my bill 1/2 way through our agreement. I decided to downgrade to the 30/4 plan. It's quite clear that Charter is essentially "chasing" customers off of the 100/5 plan by any means they see fit to use. I'm very disappointed in the ways Charter has changed since coming under new management.

I'm taking away stars for connection reliability, tech support, and value. Since Charter decided to eradicate all forms of tech support except call-in, they don't deserve a decent rating. The service is losing value as well.

Update 5/13/14

Taking away a star for value since Charter is now charging $55 for basic internet service. They've done nothing to try and add value to the service in exchange for across the board price increases.

member for 13.6 years, 6050 visits, last login: a few hours ago