Charter page on DSLReports

Review by pawpaw See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Greenville,SC
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Billing is FUBAR, no newsgroups access"
Overall "Solid, no-frills for average price"

Update 11/10/2012: No more newgroups. Dear Charter Customer,

As a valued Charter customer, ...Starting December 10th, Charter will no longer offer our Newsgroups service as we have found customers are enjoying better ways to interact online."

Currently on a $19.99 internet-only promotion, so I guess I can't complain too much. However, the promotion price is set to expire soon.

Bandwidth and reliability still good.

Update 8/27/09: My promotion ran out so I followed the normal protocol to get the latest. Previously I had the normal rate for internet, with a promotion for basic cable. Now I have the promotion for internet ($29.99), and normal rate for TV - bottom line price the same!

I gave this a few days, then called to cancel TV, as OTA is all I need. Was able to do this as Uverse is now available in my area - yay! I was very careful to have the CSR explictly confirm that the internet promotional rate would stay the same, that there would be no other charges, and no lock-in period. I drafted a letter to Charter recording this, and gave it to the lady behind the counter at the local Charter office, making her initial it and my copy as a confirmation of receipt. I am convinced Charter will screw up the bill, so sadly it has come to this.

Meanwhile, service is solid. A lightning strike took out their box, which took three days to repair.

Update 8/6/08: Now 5M/512 - speeds as advertised, pings mostly ok. Charter jerks you around with promotions and billing issues. Account support is poor. On a technical level service has been reliable and technical support satisfactory. Charter website is poor.

384/128 recently upgraded to 3/256. Speeds pretty much as advertised with reasonable pings. Dynamic IP seldom changes. Use my own SB5100 modem - a solid performer. Never call tech support, so can't comment (a good thing). Vonage works well, FTP, HTTP, etc. servers not blocked (do not abuse!)

Update: Downgraded back to 384/128 - still $39.99. Apparently CSR made a mistake! Very irritating.

Comments: