| Review by ccureau |
member for 10.4 years, 107 visits, last login: 125 days ago
updated 2 years ago
- Covington,Saint Tammany,LA
- $85 per month
- (12 month contract)
- about 5 days
- "Pre-sales support is very good, connection is very stable"
- "Installer didn't do the job properly"
- "Business class cable is at least equal in stability to DSL."
|Pre Sales information:|
Value for money:
(ratings above consensus)
After 8 years, I am leaving AT&T DSL behind thanks to their outrageous terms of service, low caps, and the proposed purchase of T-Mobile. This still puts me in the market for a different cellular carrier...sigh. Thanks for the memories, AT&T, but I want no part of your plans for global domination.
On 3/30 I ordered 16M/2M service from Charter Business ($79) plus one static IP address ($5). My sales consultant was able to answer all of my questions, which was impressive as I asked heavily about terms of service and service level guarantees. This increases my monthly total from $45 to $85, but I can sleep better at night.
Benefits for going with Charter Business:
- NO CAPS!
- No blocked ports -- you can do what you please as long as you don't resell their service
- Business service/support level is better than residential -- If you pay for 16M/2M, you'll get pretty close. Business service takes precedence over Residential.
- Service guarantees -- problems addressed within 24 hours.
Still some unanswered questions, though...
- ToS states that excessive or abusive usage can result in disconnect...I want to know what exactly excessive means
Will get an install date within the next few days and will update at that time.
Update @ 4/1/2011: install date is Tuesday 4/5/2011.
Update @ 4/5/2011: Install is complete, and speeds are...well, not consistent. Speeds back to the main office in Slidell (I'd assume as fast as possible) were only at 9Mbit/sec. Calling support.
Update @ 4/20/2011: Internet almost completely down today. Called support, and they found a problem in the Slidell area. They will have it fixed today.
Update @ 6/19/2011:
Had an issue that caused continual dropped signal. I recorded the times it happened and called them after a month with data. Charter responded amazingly well, sending a technician out the next day and keeping me well informed as to what was happening. The issue was a bad cable from the pole to my house (the line itself was twisted into a 2" loop and had a large split in it -- shouldn't the installer have seen this!?) No problems since!
I have also installed the same class of service at my new business and absolutely no issues so far. I'm very pleased with Charter! Too bad there are no discounts until you get to the 10 office level...