Charter page on DSLReports

• Location: Greenville,Greenville,SC
Good "I am done with them!!!!"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "The worst company ever. If I could only get back a fraction of the time and money wasted on them!"

This is the worst company ever. As I said if I could only get a portion of the money and time I have wasted on these complete IDIOTS!
Costantly calling Tech Support, they blamed my router repeatedly for everything including Global Warming. The modem was not receiving signal but they still pointed to the router.
Billing, a total nightmare, I disconnect and the can't get it right because their tech went to the wrong house. I lost connection one time on a Tuesday and was working from home on Spring Break, Internet was restored that Saturday, and lost all that time and pay that week. Not they only time they have cost me big time.
I have Uverse now and love it. I pay a little more but worth it.
I simply DESPISE CHARTER!!!!!!!!!!

(review was emailed from domain integralsg.com)

Comments:

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

Do ANON reviews even count?

gotta love these ANON reviews!

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Anon Reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.

Anon review with terrible spelling. Did you have english class the last period of the day and skip it every day through out school?

Without proof of modem signals I would not believe it was down that bad. Most consumers claim its never their equipment but 80% of the time if you bypass the consumers equipment the service is actually working. That is why before I call tech support I hook my laptop directly to the modem and reset everthing to verify no connection.
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Blaming Router

I've had HSI with Charter since 2000. After about 2003, when they finally figured out how to manage their network, I've been pretty happy with them. However, I'm sure they don't please all the customers, all the time. The South Carolina system is also different than the St. Louis system and it might, overall, have more challenges.

That said, it is relatively easy to eliminate the router from the equation by plugging your device directly into the cable modem. When solving problems, there are a couple rules that really help:

1) Eliminate as many/much variables, layers and complexity as possible to yield a simplified "known state".

In this case, connect the cable modem directly to inbound coax (no splitters and get as close as possible to where it enters the building.) Connect the computer directly to the cable modem using a pre-tested and known good Ethernet cable. Connect both the cable modem and the computer to the same power source. (There could be a ground problem with a power leg and this will prevent a potential difference that might be causing noise/other problems.)

2) Change one and one thing only and measure the outcome

If #1 works, slowly change things until it doesn't work. If #1 doesn't work, try taking the cable modem and computer to a neighbors house who is not having problems. Repeat procedure.

I know this is a PITA but I like to do as much as I can because I've been in service call hell and unfortunately, it can waste a lot of time.
Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
·Charter

Re: Blaming Router

said by rradina:

it is a pain, but this is the best method to find where issues are. You remove as much as you can, and add things, 1 at a time, until you find the problem. I troubleshoot networks all the time, and this is the only surefire way to find and solve issues.
ccureau

join:2002-12-28
Slidell, LA
said by rradina:

Paying for business class service has given me a LOT of satisfaction with this...it's $85 a month for 20M/3M with a static IP, but I've NEVER spent more than 2 minutes on hold while calling for service...and if they can't fix it, a truck rolls.

WELL worth the additional cash.

fivebyfive

join:2006-11-26
Morgan Hill, CA
said by rradina:

Since the modem, routers and hubs are powered by "wall wart" power supplies with transformers, they effectively isolate these devices from the power mains, so ground loops, potential differences and noise shouldn't occur, regardless of where the devices are plugged into power outlets.

fivebyfive

join:2006-11-26
Morgan Hill, CA

Try a long cable modem reset

I'm a recent convert to Charter, and I experienced a strange midnight outage in the third week of service. Cycling the power on the router and the cable modem didn't fix it. However, it turns out that one must remove power from the modem for at least 35 seconds: This has little to do with clearing the modem registers, but it takes nearly that long for Charter's router to realize that your modem has gone off-line. When you connect it again after being off-line for half a minute or more, it assigns a new IP address to the modem. Once the modem has restarted and has stabilized, power up your router, then the machines on the local area network (LAN) in your house. If there isn't an upstream problem with the wiring on your premises or with Charter's service, you should be back in business.
If you plug a computer directly into the cable modem, bypassing your router and WiFi access, and can connect to the Internet with it, that means that the service is working and you need to look for problems in your LAN.