Charter page on DSLReports

Review by crk2h See Profile

• Location: Tullahoma,Coffee,TN
Good "Fast install! Internet Speeds seem pretty quick Lots of HD now!"
Bad "Out of date Guide GUI"
Overall "Great for internet and has a nice HD line up as well"

·LightTUBe
*** Update 12/15/2012*** I made the switch from Charter to our Local Utility Company which is a fiber network (Lightube) and I would highly recommend doing the same if you live in Tullahoma!! I got 50/25 internet and an HD DVR package and TV quality is so much better with a ton more channels in HD and in general.
*****************************************************************************************************

The new HD channels are here earlier than promised and wow what an improvement!

Also, the HD quality is much better now that the techs came out and got the signals to my house fixed.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2031120278.png

Speed not bad at all for 29.95 a month plus the 7 modem rental!!!

Had to update the review for the technical part as Charter has been great in customer service as well as the techs coming out to look into some problems I was having.

Comments:
Nspradley
join:2011-03-17
Northport, AL

Question

Are you referring to number of HD channels or you think the quality is bad?

I know that most markets are over 100 HD channels now so they have come a long way in that department.

Re: Question

Quality is good but There are only about 40 - 45 hd channels I guess I was kind of spoiled with all of the HD channels I had with comcast in Murfreesboro.
Nspradley
join:2011-03-17
Northport, AL

Re: Question

I obviously dont know anything about your particular cable system, however Charter just added a ton of new HD channels in this cable system this week.

It included 15ish new movie channels which is nice

join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by crk2h:

I would say both. There are only about 40 - 45 hd channels and I would say that the quality is not that good compared to what I am use to. Reminds me of what comcast's hd looked like in the beginning. I guess I was kind of spoiled with all of the HD channels I had with comcast in Murfreesboro.

Instead of bashing Charter why don't you go to their future TV site and you'd see they are going to add dozens of new HD to your area in a month or less. In Camden we are getting the new HD channels on July 13th. You should get something in the mail letting you know the exact date.

charter.com/futuretv

·LightTUBe
·Charter

Re: Question

I didn't bash them I said the internet was great and that the HD line up sucks. That is a fact in the future when they add HD channels to the line up I will update my review accordingly. Until then my review of them is accurate and not a "bash". I understand that they may be doing upgrades but that is in the future and not now.

Tullahoma, TN
Updated review as promised. I have to say I am definitely impressed with the HD lineup now! All in one upgrade to instead of having to wait for a few channels added each month.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

I Agree

I would say the HD quality is bad, The Weather Channel HD leaks though on my Internet Only line and I have compared Charter's TWC-HD to DirecTV's TWC-HD side by side flipping back and fourth between them and I have to say there is a significant difference between the two. DirecTV's feed is way clearer, you can see tiles on Charter's during fast motion, it's like watching a low quality HD video stream on the internet.

The HD line up sucks in comparison too.
mdavej

join:2004-06-09
united state

Re: I Agree

said by TheTechGuru:

The HD line up sucks in comparison too.

Must be a regional thing. In my area Charter now has all these channels that DirecTV doesn't, not to mention the 26 Viacom channels they just lost (Comedy Central, MTV, Nick, etc.):

BBCA, Cooking, DIY, E!, Fuse, GMC, GSN, H2, HLN, Hub, IFC, LMN, Outdoor, Oxygen, OWN, Style, TCM, TVLand, WE, and Wealth

Charter HD PQ is also fantastic in my area. It used to suck worse than youtube on dial-up. But now it's every bit as good as DirecTV and shows virtually none of the macro blocking that you're seeing. And the SD PQ is far better than DirecTV. When they eventually roll out SDV in your market, you'll truly be shocked at the improvement.

Of course DirecTV has them beat on DVR's, sports and monthly cost.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

Re: I Agree

I think

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFnSNzoQqZM

is just plain ridicules compared to

»hdsource.txnj.net/directvhdgui/