Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by AckAck See Profile

• Location: Auburn,Nemaha,NE
Good "Not much of anything"
Bad "Promises 12Mbps, but may take years to get there."
Overall "Run away...run away..."

The Good: They really know how to apologize. They obviously have experience.

The Bad:
I have had DSL with Windstream since 2007, and at first I was quite happy with the service. About a year ago, we got a call from Windstream stating that they were willing to upgrade us from our 6Mbps plan to 12Mbps for only $5 a month more, and ever since it seems to have a severe case of narcolepsy. Most days I'm lucky to get a consistent 3Mbps, and sometimes it's 1Mbps with latency issues. I can't establish a reliable VPN connection to work with this, and streaming any video longer than about 20 seconds is near maddening. I wish that speedtest.net would log all of the times that the test won't even start due to latency errors.

If you decide to call support, a Windstream rep will be more than happy to placate you with apologies. I logged a ticket for slow connection speed, and about a month later I finally got a call back stating that they had located the problem and I should call if it persists. Well, nothing changed and I called them back.

11/18/11 - Speeds have improved but are still not consistent especially in the afternoon/evening time frame. I still stand by my original review until I can get proven reliable service.

12/11/11 - I'm back to getting service at less than 1Mbps on a 12mbps connection!

12/12/11 - Speeds are back to what I had from 11/18/11.

1/29/2012 - Speedtest shows 12Mbps, fairly regularly now, however I continue to be plagued with dropped connections. I tried to VPN into work tonight and after the 4th time that my VPN connection crashed in 20 minutes, I went to another location (which has a 5Mbps Time Warner connection, and I spent the next hour and a half on the VPN connection, with no loss of connection...Imagine that. I just need to convince my spouse that we can lose the bundle and stay with Dish network (no problems there) and ditch the DSL and phone, and go with Roadrunner. I just wish Apple hadn't bungled the OS6 maps so my wife would be finally driven to absolute sanity by repeated attempts at updating the OS with this connection, and beg for us to get a real internet provider. 5Mbps RR account is so much better than the narcoleptic "12 Mbps" DSL that ends up being anywhere from 0.8Mbps to about 7Mbps. I jumped on the one price for life promo, but I'm not really looking forward to paying for crap for the rest of my life.

The Ugly:
2/1/12 - Speedtest.net = 0.88Mbps.
Windstream strikes out again.

8/24/2012 2300
»www.speedtest.net/result/2138985546.png

9/27/2012 I'm finally getting 12Mbps pretty regularly as originally promised. No rebates, no refunds, nothing.

10/4/2012 Back to square 1 again, with bursts of speed interrupted by spans of vast black holes in their service. See 0.8Mbps result in the replies below.

1/20/2013 There must have been a perfect storm of federal money being made available and a fire being lit under someone's butt because I finally seem to be getting the 12Mbps that had been promised for years. I just hope it lasts.

1/22/2013 It looks like things are holding up now. For the sake of those who are still suffering with slow speeds, I will update my rating with the same voracity and tenacity that was applied to correcting the speed issues. That said, Windstream should check back in about 6 months, it should be a positive rating by then. (Everyone else... I might get to it by about 2017...shhh!!!)

9/29/2013 - The speeds are still holding steady, but living each day with a feeling of impending doom is not good. The instant I see a drop in speed, or the day I move will be my last day dealing with Windstream. Do not make the mistake that so many others of us have made. I can assure you that you will eventually regret it.

Comments:
TechsMex

join:2011-09-21
West Palm Beach, FL

Downgrade to 6mbps

You would be better off downgrading to 6mbps until the overutilization issue can be resolved at the 12mbps level.
athensgator

join:2011-10-17

Re: Downgrade to 6mbps

I have had the exact same issue and finally today got them to drop me down to 6MB. Unfortunately it won't be done till Monday and I will be out of town all week next week so I won't know if it is better until Friday.

Re: Downgrade to 6mbps

Just make sure to check you bill next month. We asked for a change in service on the phone end due to some quality issues and found a somewhat cryptic additional charge on the bill. Only after calling customer service to contest the added charge did we find out that they charged the additional amount because we asked for a change in service (which we were told was to be gratis).

sgt

@windstream.net

isp failure

I would like to know what is wrong with Windstream Nation Wide. Why have the lines all become so congested so that no one has any consistent speeds, and are always dropping. My service only works early in the morning. I was told that Windstream oversold in my area, causing bottle necks and serious slows. I have also been told for months that it is being looked into, but I dont think it is since it is still not fixed. What is the deal behind all of this. Over selling, not repairing, all accross the US.

Speedtest up or down.

Sept 2012 - Right now my speed test results are either right at or around 12Mbps on about 10% of the tests that I run. The other 90% start out looking to be 11-12Mbps, but then stop and never finish, which seems typical of my connection as of late. It's like being on I-88 west out of Chicago with a toll booth every 10 miles. Go...go...stop...wait...go...stop...wait...go...stop...etc...
The speed test app on the Ipod consistently shows about 2-3Mbps.

Ipod

Don't bother trying to update the OS on a mobile device, at least not on my connection. While it runs anywhere from 8-12 Mbps now when I do a speed test, it is still plagued by connection drops that will kill a download for any big file, or if using a VPN connection.

I hate you Windstream.

Re: Ipod

OK,

I had a problem with my DSL router that had it rebooting every 10-30 min, so it was giving me grief. Called Windstream and they got me a new router, and things are looking up. I'm getting upwards of 12 Mbps as advertised...finally. Unless things change, I'm going change my overall demeanor towards Windstream from extremely annoyed, to mildly grumpy. As time passes, I may even become an indifferent customer. I don't hate you as bad now.

Router

The new router doesn't reboot, but I'm once again back to square one, and extremely annoyed again...

Re: Router

10/13/2012 17:30 - It's a festivus miracle. I have had a stable VPN connection for more than 5 minutes. Congratulations are sincerely due in finally meeting customer expectations. I just hope that it will last. And the speed test actually is 12Mbps, on a Saturday afternoon. Back to moderately grumpy for me!!! Couldn't agree more with the Speedtest results. A solid D+ performance.

Re: Router

10/30/2012 16:49 - Tadaaaa Widndstream has managed to make the internet disappear, reappear, and disappear! So much for a stable VPN connection for longer than about a minute. Back to hate.

Somehow they are still holding on to that 2 star rating?!

Another Festivus miracle...

and at 8:15 in the evening too.
JWNelson

join:2011-09-01
Columbia, MO
·Charter

Distance?

Just a guess - you may be at a distance from the Auburn telephone switching office or DSLAM where 12 Mbps is possible, but fringe. The connection will drop frequently when that's the case, and then the modem and/or DSLAM port may reduce the attempted connection speed to try to get a more stable connection. I had this happen with CenturyLink in Omaha and lowering by one tier made all the difference.
weaseman

join:2013-01-24
Fort White, FL

Windstream allocating data

Windstream is currently being investigated for allocating data in my area by the FCC and there not even aware of the ongoing investigation that is 2 days for concluding . So in part there will be something fixed in my area soon.

Re: Windstream allocating data

It's about *}!*| time that the FCC got involved.