TELUS page on DSLReports

Review by zod5000 See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Fast, Reliable, and they don't complain about bandwidth usage."
Bad "Cutsomer and Tech Support. Very Frustrating."
Overall "Telus is a little better than shaw for the bandwidth hungry."

·Shaw
I recently upgraded from Turbo 15 to Turbo 25. As with my previous reviews, all the problems came during the upgrade process (or previously the install). The first issue that arrived was that the order got stuck. After a week of being told to wait longer, finally one of the CSRs put in a new order. The account was promptly upgraded but I wasn't receiving the new speeds.

I tried to call in for tech support and kept getting bounced between tv tech support, internet tech support and customer care. No one could figure out the issue. After a few weeks of this I got someone on the line who offered to send out a tech.

Tech #1. Completely useless. He came over, said he tested the line (but I didn't see him do it). Blamed the fact I was using my own router, left a telus all in one behind, said it would fix it and took off. It didn't fix, there was nothing wrong with my ALU VDSL modem and Asus n16 router. I actually got a little mad at the guy, I had to raise my voice and ask if there were any other issues you could check. The guy just wanted to take off, didn't communicate well and didn't seem to care.

Tech #2. So I called internet tech support again, they saw high attenuation on the line. They sent out another tech. This guy was a good communicator and knew his stuff, but all he did was test the line in my apartment building, said there was nothing else he could do, but he'd call back in a few days once he could run some more tests. He never did, thus he never resolved the issue.

Tech #3. Same thing, called tech support again they sent out a 3rd tech. This guy showed up; looked at my wiring and tested the line, said he didn't think he could solve the issue. So I pushed him a little harder, can you test which part of the line my issue is coming from? I finally talked him into going to the phone room in my building to test the line. It was ok. So then he took off to test the line outside the building, then the line to the CO. He called back again saying it didn't look good. But I asked if he could try a different line that goes into the building, he said he'd need to switch the port, but the ports were all locked out. That was frustrating. He basically told me to go back on turbo 15. He did call back a few minutes later (must of felt bad) and said he'd try to see if he could find a new port later in the day. 30 minutes later he did, called me said he was going to connect it. He did, the internet came back on, and I had full download speed and half upload. One more call and he resolved the upload speed pretty quick. Finally after a month my turbo 25 is working.

I also called telus customer care to complain about how long it took, they gave me a month for free, but I spent alot of time waiting at home for techs, calling their tech support etc.... so even if it saves me 50-60 dollars, I think my time was worth more.

I'm not sure what is up with the telus techs, they seem to want to take off as quick as possible without resolving the issue. It's really awkward having to push them to do everything in their power to fix it.

That being said, that's always my experience with telus. Getting things installed or upgraded is nothing but hassle, but once its up and running, its fast, consistent and reliable.

Some people may ask why I don't move my internet to Shaw. Well that one's easy. Even if telus customer/tech support is a complete pain. Telus has remained on the back burner when it comes to enforcing caps, throttling, and charging overage. As long as they don't throttle, don't charge overage, and don't enforce caps, I suppose I'm willing to put up with this crap

member for 11 years, 4600 visits, last login: a few minutes ago