TELUS page on DSLReports

Review by Roofer See Profile

Good "Reliable, no contract, no cap enforcement, no throttling, wanted my business"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Highly recommend"

I recently signed up with Telus after becoming disillusioned with Shaw. I am surprised by how much things have improved since I last tried them. I am on their High-Speed Turbo Internet plan (15 mbps).

Positives:
- Rock solid infrastructure. Things have improved a lot since I tried them 8 years ago! I am getting approximately 13.8 mbps, and it is a straight line on the download graph, unlike Shaw which drops during the peak hours.

- Simple setup. It was a painless transition from Shaw - I had it up and running in less than an hour. When I was placing the order, I asked them to activate the line in 7 days, and to mail me the modem/router, which arrived in 4 days. I want to emphasize that I don't have television - if you are getting that, you should arrange for a tech visit (which is free). Also, if you do not have a telephone line by your computer, you should also arrange for a tech visit.

- No contracts - the only reason you would sign a contract is to get their free toys such as XBox.

- Excellent pre-sales information. By the time I placed the order, I knew exactly how much I was paying, that I was not locked into a contract, what the price will be after the promotional period, and that there will be no rental fees.

- Flexible on their pricing. Try a bit of negotiating, especially if you are already a Telus customer. I had the sense that their loyalty department really wanted my business.

- No cap enforcement. I don't know what the future holds, only the here and now - Shaw is charging for overages, and Telus is not. This can mean a difference of hundreds of dollars for a heavy Internet family.

- For those of you that use torrents, I understand that it is not throttled.

- The last 2 points make Telus a company that is friendly to Internet users, whereas Shaw is hostile.

Conclusion: I highly recommend Telus for Internet. I have no personal experience though with their television and have never had to yet deal with their technical support, so I can't comment on those.

Comments: