TELUS page on DSLReports

Review by eddi1984 See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Quick fairly painless ordering and install"
Bad "Service took approx 4 hours after install to be up in full speed"
Overall "Happy so far, no problems."

Hi Folks, new here.

UPDATE Sept 26 (2013): Well, what should I say? BEST MOVE EVER! I am with TELUS for 6+ month now, I have had absolutely no connection drops, the speed is as steady as ever! If you can get GPON from TELUS, go for it ...
Will not go back to SHAW!!!

UPDATE Mar 14: SHOCK!!! After 24 hours of flawless internet service, I received a call from the same Telus tech (see below) to verify that my connection was good and that I am happy. IMPRESSIVE I must say!

AS POSTED ON MAR 13:
History:
I want to document my experience with TELUS for the last 1 week or so. I am/was a true SHAW customer for the last 7 years, Internet and Phone. I had the BB50 with Shaw, however, in the last few years I jumped from $85 a month to $105 for the same service without changes. So, thanks SHAW, you are no more, sort off ...

Recent events:
After reading online in forums, I found out, that TELUS was offering a Internet 50 plan (50/10) over fiber. So I called TELUS and inquired, if it is available in my area (I life in Edmonton, South Side, rather new neighborhood). So I ordered the Internet 50.

First encounter:
Telus tech came out (nice friendly guy) today (march 13). He terminated/spliced the fiber and installed a Alcatel ONT (Alcatel I-240G-B) right in my basement. From the ONT I connected direct into my Netgear Router. The tech had an Actiontec modem/router, however, I do not use it (have no TV).

EDIT: The Actiontec is a V1000H.

What happened after:
The service was not quite working for the first 4 hours due to a QoS problem in their equipment. Called Tech support and got a smart guy who looked into the problem. He told me, that they needed to apply a temp fix to get me going, and will do the actual fix in the next 1 or 2 days. All right, no harm done. After rebooting my router the temp fix worked and I had 50+/10+ speeds. About 3 hours later, the same tech called me back and told me, that the fix was applied and I needed to reboot my router, IMPRESSIVE, Telus is actually calling me back. I was impressed.
Rebooted the router and everything works.

Here is a speedtest: »www.speedtest.net/result/2572134696.png

IMPRESSIVE! So far so good. The experience from signup to actual install was very smooth and good.

I will keep this post updated as I have more experience with this service.

BTW, the download cap is 400GB and SOFTCAP (CAP is not enforeced, I specifically asked before I signed up, and the info is approx 1 week old) and I pay $45 for the first 6 month.

So long,