Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by khronlk See Profile

• Location: Sarnia,ON
Good "Decent Speeds, Fairly Stable Connection."
Bad "Low Caps, Pricey, Sometimes Congestion."
Overall "Bad for heavy internet users, Decent for light users."

·Start Communicat..
UPDATE: I ended up going back to Cogeco after my DSL connection had suffered congestion as well, I picked up the Business Starter package so I would not have to worry about tiny caps. Basically you pay a lot for a little and not have to worry about paying more on top for going over your cap. The connection was solid again with no congestion but it is expensive, this is the best I can do for the time being in my city.

I started out with a 'lite' package, it was good for me at the time but a year later they started enforcing insanely low bandwidth caps and I needed more bandwidth so I upgraded to a faster package with more download cap. Very soon after they bumped the speeds of the packages up a bit which must of caused the node to badly congest up because I was receiving slower download speeds then before the package upgrade with packet loss and brutal pings.

I called tech support numerous times about speed problems and after many calls of the "unplug your modem and plug it back in" to try and fix it they finally had told me there was congestion in my area and would be fixed in a months time, they also sent out a tech as well to check my line and make sure it wasn't anything on my end which was nice but the tech said my line was just fine and that there was nothing he or any other tech could do because my area was heavily congested and I would have to wait until they came and split the node. After a month with no fix I called back, this tech said it would be 2 more months until my node would be split and then I would see a vast improvement in my speeds, they sent out another tech to check my lines which resulted in deja vu. So after 2 more months had passed and things had just continued to get worse I called back again, this tech said it would be another 3 more months till there was a node split in my area. I waited out the 3 more months with no offer of any discount for less then 20% of the speed advertised and again there was no fix after the 3 months, by then I gave up and started looking for alternative ISP's.

Cogeco used to be the superior internet to have with high speeds, good tech support and good value but lately they seem to have taken a page out of Bell's book and rip off their customers by squeezing every cent out of them they can with these low caps and over priced overage fees. Getting them to actually fix a problem now seems like pulling teeth as well, just take a look at the decline in ratings for Cogeco from 2 years ago.. it speaks volumes.

Comments: