Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by squircle See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "Fast DOCSIS 3 speeds, excellent pings & peering, helpful tech support"
Bad "Low traffic caps, upstream traffic management"
Overall "Much better than DSL, fast speeds, awesome techs"

I ordered Cogeco's Ultimate 30 DOCSIS 3 package, after deciding that I would switch away from Bell and their evil practices (had Fibe 16 off a remote 20m away). Ordering was extremely simple (as I already subscribe to TV through Cogeco), and the entire process took about 10 minutes. The technician came at a very convenient time (Cogeco only required a 3-hour window instead of Bell's all-day window). The installer was extremely friendly and has us up & running in no time. (He also mentioned how he had 120Mbps DOCSIS 3 but that's a different story).

I reconfigured my OpenWRT to use DHCP instead of PPPoE, connected the modem, and everything was successful. I only peaked at about 2Mbps for the first half-hour, but the speed got up to 30/1.5 within about 40 minutes. The speeds are very consistent, except for infrequent peak hours when the downstream drops to about 10Mbps, which I don't have a problem with (given its infrequency).

The latency and transit is far superior to Bell's. My first external hop used to be 38ms away (on fastpath, not interleaved); it's now 6ms. Transit to my Linode in NJ used to be 19 hops and 81ms, and is now 11 hops and 25ms. I couldn't be happier to finally be on an ISP that peers at TorIX.

I still can't wait for Teksavvy to start offering Internet service here in Oakville. I could complain about the caps, but I rarely approach/exceed them. I'd just rather give Teksavvy my money over Cogeco. I could also complain about the price, but it's about the same as what I was paying for 16Mbps with Bell.

Overall, I love Cogeco. They're the lesser evil between them and Bell, and I'm so happy to support a quasi-local company (at least all the tech. support & salespeople are in Burlington/Oakville).

member for 5.1 years, 1580 visits, last login: a few hours ago