Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by lockejcole See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Speeds constant, faster then advertised, connection is reliable"
Bad "Bandwidth limits are low"
Overall "No better choice in Hamilton"

I have been with Cogeco for internet service over the past 10 years, and I can say my only real satisfaction was on a Cogeco connection. I've been a customer of Bell and Acanac, hoping to find an alternative for my bandwidth needs, but I found DSL unreliable, and the support from Acanac was horrible. I always had Cogeco as my fall-back, I ran the DSL service as a secondary modem.

Cogeco has had a few outages over the years, but nothing to write home about. We were given the option to pay the Ultimate package price while waiting for the new high speeds to come to Hamilton, which saved us some money. We were upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 this year and couldn't be more pleased. The connection is fast, usually higher then advertised and although bandwidth limits are low, they were increased a little bit this month (+50GB to 175GB). This is still not amazing but it is enough for me to be comfortable for the most part. I use to be a heavy downloader back in the Cogeco@Home days and the limitations have caused me to change my ways and be more selective about what I waste my bandwidth on. Not entirely a bad thing in my opinion.

When we do have an outage, calling tech support can lead to some wait times but they are always able to tell me what is going on and give me an estimate on when service will be restored. I always speak to someone I can understand, which is also a plus. The technical department doesn't treat me like an 8 year old when I call for help once I establish that I know what I am doing, which is also appreciated.

Overall, Cogeco has been a decent provider, and the only thing I would really say they need to do to continue to win me over is consider giving more bandwidth options, or increase the caps to allow for streaming media. I would have no problem paying for extra bandwidth if they would sell it in bulk, rather then per GB.

»speedtest.net/result/1509649985.png