Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by nfgbrian See Profile

• Location: Charles Town,Jefferson,WV
Good "Fast installation, consistent speeds,"
Bad "Incorrect speed profile on setup, kind of expensive for dry loop"
Overall "Maxing out my connection, I'm happy so far!"

Ordered MAX dsl service from frontier on a monday, had service setup 3 days later. The installer was here at 9am, had a window from 8-12. Plugged in the modem and DSL connection was up 5 minutes later. They had the wrong speed profile set a 2MB, and being only 100 feet from the CO, I knew my line could handle 6MB speeds. Installer confirmed this as well.

20 minutes later my connection was bumped to 3.7MB, still not that 6MB I was told I would get. After getting the run around from customer service and tech support, they sent a tech out to up my speeds the next day. DSL line went down for 30 minutes, and when it came back up I was cruising along at 6MB. Works perfect for browsing, downloading, and streaming HD content on my Roku and PS3.

Pings have been under 30ms, speed test consistent 5600Kbps down and 410up. Coming from 30mbps Comcast it is a lot slower, but I hardly notice the different for everyday use. I'm happy that my connection is no longer going down multiple times a day and so far no noticeable congestion in my area. Couldn't be happier.

--Update 10.08.12--

Ordered new bonded 25/2 plan. After running a new line I'm still maxing out the speeds I'm provisioned for. I must be pretty lucky because it seems that most people have issues with Frontier. Still very happy with my service.

member for 12.5 years, 108 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID
·HughesNet Satell..

Speeds

Yeah I went from having Cable to DSL on Frontier, yes speeds are alot slower then Cable, I as well dont notice a difference in the things I do online. I am very happy with Frontier too, I dont see why people have so many problems, you will find out reading other peoples reviews.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·SureWest Internet

Re: Speeds

Take heed of the "other peoples reviews" my friend. You are still in the beginning stages of the partnership with frontier. Give it awhile. They will let you down. They always do.
The weekend is here, grab a can of beer!

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

Re: Speeds

Well its been 2 years with Frontier and not one problem.
nfgbrian

join:2002-05-21
Frederick, MD
The good news is I'm month-to-month. If problems do arise that can't be fixed, then I'll have no problem going back to cable.