Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by Crookshanks See Profile

• Location: Noxen,Wyoming,PA
Good "Static IP service is inexpensive, competent technical support, prompt installation at no charge, reliable connection."
Bad "National sales reps lack knowledge of market specific offerings."
Overall "Good value for the money, much easier to work with than Verizon. On-shore technical support and extremely helpful sales reps."

I find myself engaged to the most remarkable woman in the World; unfortunately this necessitated moving out of Verizon land where I enjoyed 10/1mbit/s DSL service and into Frontier land. Called them a few months prior to my move to inquire about which services were available at my new address; was told that I could get 7mbit/s download and 768kbit/s upload at $20/mo the first year and $39.99/mo thereafter. The modem rental fee can be waived since I already own several compatible DSL modems. Dry loop is available in my market though I don't intend to avail myself of it as I like the inherent reliability of POTS.

Placed my order as soon as I moved in with my fiance. Installation scheduled for Monday when ordered on a Thursday. No charge for installation. I've already run new inside wiring for the DSL connection and intend to ask them to install a filter inside the NID when they arrive.

Technician calls at 8:30am Monday to verify that I'm home. Indicates she will be out as soon as she is done hooking things up at the central office. She arrives at our house shortly thereafter and the installation goes quickly and smoothly. Unfortunately I'm only provisioned at 3.0/384; I ask about this and am told that it is the highest speed available for consumers in our market. Apparently the sales rep who told me otherwise was misinformed. I ask her what can be done about this -- I work from home and need more than 384kbit/s of upload -- she says I can get 6.0/768 business class service and she'll forward my information to a local rep who can get me set up for that service.

The local rep calls me two days later and apologizes for the bad information previously provided; apparently the national sales people lack market specific information. She tells me that 6.0/1.0 mbit/s business class service is available for $80. After some negotiation she agrees to sell us that service for $59.99/mo with a three year commitment. Since it's business class service I can obtain a static IP for $10/mo more; I decline this option at the time but would ultimately have it added later.

All in all things went well. I'm disappointed that the national rep gave me inaccurate information but that's par for the course with large corporations. I find Frontier much easier to deal with than Verizon; Verizon has a "take it or leave it" attitude which was not in evidence when dealing with Frontier. Their reps are helpful, outgoing and willing to work with you to ensure that you get the service you need.

I'm paying more money than I thought I would be but the underlying price is the same as my Verizon DSL while the extra $10 for a static IP is cheap for the functionality it provides. Having a business class connection is nice; no blocked ports, promised speed delivered 24/7 and the knowledge that my price is locked in for at least three years.

One other item of note: The person who placed my order spelled my name correctly on the account but completely messed it up for the PPP/e-mail username. The install technician told me this could be fixed with a phone call if I wanted but I told her not to bother since I won't be using their e-mail address.

To explain my ratings:

Pre-sales information 3/5: This would be a 1/5 if it wasn't for the excellent experience I had working with the local rep. The national sales reps lack market specific information but if you can get a local one on the phone you'll be in excellent hands.

Install Co-ordination 5/5: They showed up when promised and didn't charge an installation fee. The technician was knowledgeable and thanked me for making her job easier by doing the inside wiring. She was on-site less than twenty minutes and referred me to the awesome local sales rep.

Connection reliability 5/5: My connection is stable and thus far delivers my promised speed 24/7; I get 5.89mbit/s on download speed tests and 1.01mbit/s on uploads. What more can you ask for when they sell you a 6.0/1.0 connection?

Tech Support 5/5: Worked with them to get my static IP configured after it was ordered. They are on-shore and knowledgeable; it took longer than I would have liked to get the static IP configured but that was attributable to my bringing a non-Frontier modem. The technician worked with me in spite of this and together we figured it out.

Services 5/5: What can I say here that wasn't covered in my written review above?

Value for money 4/5: Same price as my 10.0/1.0 DSL from Verizon before the extra $10 for the static IP. The price is more than fair for what I'm getting; my only wish is for them to have ADSL2+ so I could get a higher download speed. I've about topped out what G.dmt can deliver but I'm close enough to the CO to benefit from ADSL2+ should they opt to make it available.

Modem signal/sync stats:

Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt

Data Path INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 6944 1152

Margin (dB) 17.6 7.0

Line Attenuation (dB) 26.2 13.5

Transmit Power (dBm) 17.9 11.9

Comments:
bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
·TowerStream

Let us know

If your speed starts to suck or they hit you with a modem fee. My clients own their own modems and get hit with a "foreign modem fee" for the same price. Even more annoying is they turn the wifi off on the Westell 327W and say if we want it its an additional fee..for wifi..on our own device.
Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Re: Let us know

They can't hit me with a modem fee, at least not until my contract expires. It's spelled right out in the schedule, "Modem Fee - $0". I'll negotiate a new deal when the contract expires, if they raise my price. If the price stays the same I'll adopt the "If it's not broke, don't fix it." approach and let sleeping dogs lie.

Interestingly enough they sent me a modem even though I brought my own. E-mailed my sales rep offering to return it and she told me it was mine to keep. Frankly, I doubt they even have an inventory system to track the things.

No issues with the speed thus far. My fiancee and I don't do much video streaming (or TV watching in general) during the summer months but every time I've needed my 6mbit/s it's been there, peak hours or off-peak, hasn't mattered. Upload speeds are consistent as well, which is hugely important for telecommuting.